Given that Vivaldi is based on the chrome engine, what privacy guarantee do I have?

• Today, I read this news: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/05/chrome_56_quietly_added_bluetooth_snitch_api/

Whilst I use Vivaldi on my computers, it runs the same engine as chrome. What guarantees do I have that my browser is not going to be tracking me? I love Vivaldi, but I'm now concerned that the only way to protect myself in the Internet is to use a 100% open source browser.

• I guess we can take Jon von Tetzchner's (Vivaldi's CEO) word for it. Here are some quotes from two interviews with him:

@jon said in an interview for Factor Daily:

“What if I ask you, do you mind if I monitor your internet browsing behavior and information? Would you be ok with that? We don’t want to monitor your computer as it’s your private space”.

@jon said in an interview for Mint:

“We do not want to monitor your computer. It is your privacy, how you use it, which sites you visit or whether you use any function or not”.

You can find links to those & other interesting articles here. I don't know about the current state of the new Chromium features that you're concerned about, but AFAIK Vivaldi developers were capable of blocking some of the Chromium features in their browser and this could theoretically be the case here (but that's just my guess).

• Hmm, I do find Jon von Tetzchner credible and I like his outlook. Thanks for pointing me to those interviews. I think it is something that he's giving a categorical no. Doesn't really leave wiggle room.

• @Wojtek242

Today, I read this news: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/05/chrome_56_quietly_added_bluetooth_snitch_api/

Opinion based on that post.
    Bluetooth usually turn off isn't it? I mean in these days. There's more easier, faster & secure approach for kind of LAN access.
    Except in Japan, where they're seem still use it heavily for card exchange (phone number).

Bluetooth harvesting is a long time knowledge, even before Chrome nor Android exist. It just Chrome make it more easy as now is also supported by Web Apps.

Tracking/Privacy/Security is wide subject & un-easy.
    For example, you want Google Phising & Malware Protection for security or use Search Suggestions or Google Sync. But, by doing that, you report your existence to Google.
    No any browsers security/privacy settings could protect anyone if they opt-in using un-safe plugins or extensions. Nor any could protect anyone if they input original/important info to just anywhere.

For me, Original Chromium or Google Chrome is just fine in matter privacy & security. As long the other sites not belong to Google. But then again, I don't use Google Chrome or Original Chromium. I have Chromium Debian build though.

I've got a feeling this talk more fit to Technology or Security & Privacy category. Because it more effect to Chromium/Chrome based than Vivaldi overall.

• @dLeon said in Given that Vivaldi is based on the chrome engine, what privacy guarantee do I have?:

Tracking/Privacy/Security is wide subject & un-easy.
    For example, you want Google Phising & Malware Protection for security or use Search Suggestions or Google Sync. But, by doing that, you report your existence to Google.

See, I want to turn that off to have less Google in my browser, but would it really help with malware protection? I haven't seen much other than the red pages, but uBlock Origin mostly does the blocking.

• @D0J0P
    I don't have a stand to say which one is the best protection practice.
    What's matter might be it privacy concern. This also conform what OP asked.

Reason I lean toward uBlock0 (any ads blocker) malware subscription because I have more control to it. Than just random contact to outside server.

Anyway,
    The change you get malware could be high if, for examples:

• Happy trigger. You click any links/button shown to you without more investigations. Ever seen "OK to download" hide as close button? Well I did.
    • Download interesting apps from 3rd party download site. Worst, install them without protection. Without protection most of time bad.
      Always seek 1st party download page. Example: Really try to get vivaldi.[exe,dmg,deb,rpm] on their official site.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.