Going back by mouse button; list of mouse gestures

• Hey there everyone, and first of all, thanks for starting this project! Since Opera left the trail of the righteous, I've been missing yet another feature like every day, and I'm glad to see you're trying to bring them back! :) Now here's my first question: I assume that it should be possible to go back by pressing that very button on my mouse that is usually designated to do just that. However, it is not working in the latest Vivaldi. I'm running it on a Debian 8 / Gnome system. Is this a bug, or is it on your list? Furthermore, is there a list of the mouse gestures that are supported so far? The down-and-right one for closing a tab and the right-to-left one for going back are working fine, but the just-down one, for example, which used to open a new, blank tab in Opera, seems no to exist (or should it?). Has this action had a new gesture assigned, or is it simply still missing? Greetings Stefan

• I have filed a bug some time ago that the Back and Forward buttons on my mouse don't work - so they are aware of the problem,

• What brand is your mouse. I can confirm this issue with my logitech mx.

• Oh, they need to get this working - they know that. Opera, Chromium and so on all have it already.

• I have the same problem with my Logitech mouse. I program different buttons for copy, paste, enter and so on, and none of them work. It's a deal breaker for me, so I'll keep an eye on the development and wait a while before I switch. Looking promising, though!

I'm working on Windows, but this topic showed up when I searched. At least now we know that it's not OS specific.

• @novec:

I have the same problem with my Logitech mouse. I program different buttons for copy, paste, enter and so on, and none of them work. It's a deal breaker for me, so I'll keep an eye on the development and wait a while before I switch. Looking promising, though!

I'm working on Windows, but this topic showed up when I searched. At least now we know that it's not OS specific.

I haven't tested Linux for awhile, but in windows I'm using a Logitech MX revolution (the BT one) and a Marathon M705 and they have no problem at all with Vivaldi, since the very first public build.

I'm even using CTRL+SHIFT+V associated to tilt wheel right, to workaround the lack of Paste&Go

• I also have this problem on Linux. Using Logitech mouse, in other browsers back/forward navigation works nicely.

Xorg properly registers ButtonPress and ButtonRelease events, button 8 for back and button 9 for forward. Here are the relevant parts of xev output:

ButtonPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
        root 0x5c, subw 0x0, time 35857207, (957,701), root:(959,728),
        state 0x10, button 8, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
        root 0x5c, subw 0x0, time 35857385, (957,701), root:(959,728),
        state 0x10, button 8, same_screen YES

ButtonPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
        root 0x5c, subw 0x0, time 35921032, (955,527), root:(957,554),
        state 0x10, button 9, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x4a00001,
        root 0x5c, subw 0x0, time 35921136, (955,527), root:(957,554),
        state 0x10, button 9, same_screen YES

• I was having issues with this on my Mac with a Logitech mouse as well and found a workaround without too much hacking:

If your mouse is configurable using Logitech Options app, you can set up an app-specific layout for Vivaldi and assign keyboard shortcuts to each button. For back/forward, the defaults are ⌘← and ⌘→, respectively (can be also configured in Vivaldi). I also went ahead and assigned the tab close shortcut (⌘W) to the rather useless "Gesture button" on my MX Master.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.