Vivaldi is freezing my machine

• Hi there - i just wanna report that i lost my trust in the Vivaldi browser since it frequently completly freezes my machine by smashing the i/o to 100%.

The last time happened while opening a git commit in Gitlab with a bunch of changes.
    The times before where not really understandable - i guess the time before i just browsed some wikis, maybe Ebay.

However - this never happened to me in Firefox nor Chromium and it is very sad.
    Sometimes with luck it recovers after 15min, the most times it can happen for over a hour and the last time,
    it was around ... yeah i guess an hour - after my system recognized and ran the kill command (took about 20mins),
    i opened the browser again and got two ~5mins freezes again.

So yeah - i guess this is all you need to lose the trust in this browser - however, it shouldn't stay unreporeted, huh?

# a few inxi outputs...
    #
    System:    Host: ArchDragon Kernel: 4.8.13-1-ARCH x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: i3 4.13 Distro: Arch Linux

CPU:       Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 1500 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHz 5: 1500 MHz 6: 1500 MHz

Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1060.2GB (62.2% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Corsair_Force_LS size: 60.0GB # the vivaldi files where 100% at this SSD drive
               ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EAVS size: 1000.2GB # this HDD was not used by vivaldi
               Optical: No optical drives detected.

Partition: ID-1: / size: 56G used: 17G (31%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2 label: ArchDragon
               ID-2: /boot size: 197M used: 43M (22%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 label: EFI

Memory:    Used/Total: 2387.5/7903.7MB
               Array-1 capacity: 32 GB devices: 4 EC: None
               Device-1: DIMM0 size: 2 GB speed: 667 MHz type: DDR3
               Device-2: DIMM1 size: 2 GB speed: 667 MHz type: DDR3
               Device-3: DIMM2 size: 2 GB speed: 667 MHz type: DDR3
               Device-4: DIMM3 size: 2 GB speed: 667 MHz type: DDR3

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760]
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 272x89

• @tchncs Can't say I am experiencing a similar problem, but I get high CPU usage once I close vivaldi. The bin executable just keeps on chugging away, hogging an entire CPU to itself.
    I am running Manjaro XFCE 64 bit

• Maybe i am lacking a package to avoid applications from doing this like (maybe) on ubuntu where the window turns gray somewhen and i am asked if i wanna close the not reakting application.

• Vivaldi Translator

@tchncs

opening a git commit in Gitlab

I didn't experience system freeze on this. But then again, my only Github watch which big is Gimp github.

In Firefox there's also symptom like this. There, the cause is Firefox session management saving.

Just a thought,
    In Windows environment do you think there's a change that Anti Something scanner when scanning network stream and or big cache folders/file do this?
    Extensions that heavily scanning page contents usually also responsible.

Like @fatboy, I'm also in Linux.
    Linux/Debian sid amd64.

• @tchncs -- Hi there. I realise this does not materially help you at the moment, but i just felt i wanted to reach out & comfort you that your unpleasant experiences so far are utterly unlike anything my Vivaldi SS's & Stables have done to/for me in my Tower [SSD (Vivaldi here) + HDD] & Lappy [SSD]... & therefore with luck there could be light at the end of your tunnel. I have no Arch experience, so i wonder if that is part of the issue? I hope a Dev or other user comes up with a solution for you, so you can enjoy V as much as i & others do in Linux.
    ..............................................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 2.1 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.4.

• Well i wonder if there is something missing in my arch setup which avoides applications from doing this (like window gets gray in ubuntu).

However - some feedback from a teammember/dev would also be nice.

• I think i was facing the same problem lately with Snapshot 1.8.755.3. Ocassionally the whole system freezes and the SSD LED is running crazy. I do not really know what is going on as i can barely kill vivaldi to get the system back to normal. Sometimes it is possible to just close the opened tab.

I could not quite figure out on which sites this happens but today i had that problem like 5 to 10 times in a row while looking out for fancy hardware in different online shops.

I only got some dmesg output here that seemed to happen between two vivaldi crashes, i doubt that that is of any help. Journal was empty somehow. Will have to figure that out as well.
    Anyone got an idea how to debug this issue?

• @sophos02
    i nearly forgot but i am pretty convinced that it was caused by an extension as so often. Most likely Privacy Badger, that i had only installed to test something...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.