Planned features? (blocker, flexible gui, advanced tabbing)

• Does anyone know, whether any of the following Opera 5-12 features will be included in vivaldi? - a fully configurable user interface (the most important features of opera besides mail an mouse gestures imho) - an integrated ad blocker (yeah, there will be many plug-ins without presto. But if I wanted to install many plug-ins I would use firefox) - tab arrangements beyond primitive "one window one tab" (support for side by side an free tab arrangement wasn't a big priority in late opera, but at least it was there) - or at least for tab-minimising (an absolute must to me)

• @Opera13needed:

• a fully configurable user interface

+1 While the current UI is a good start it lacks polish. It would be nice if users can alter it.

• I am not so much thinking about polishing (support for skins is obviously present), more about individual requierements. With Opera, I even use three different gui-arrangements, depending on what screen I am working on. Starting from an extremely minimised version for old 1280x1024 and smaller displays (virtually no buttons aside from "closed tabs", bookmarks and extended back beside the adressbar), over an extremely wide layout (tabbar on left, mails&co on right and nothing above the webpage except for the addressbar - because one cannot use widescreens for browsing but utilise any height thats available) to a quite conventional layout on my working machine.
    It is simply impossible to meet all these requierements with a single gui, so what we need is the freely adjustable one from Opera. (well: Almost completely freely. I always hate it that I have to keep the menubar enabled because someone cannot freely place "tab resize" buttons)

@Opera13needed:

I even use…different gui-arrangements, depending on what screen I am working on. Starting from an extremely minimised version for old 1280x1024 and smaller displays (virtually no buttons aside from "closed tabs", bookmarks and extended back beside the adressbar), over an extremely wide layout (tabbar on left, mails&co on right and nothing above the webpage except for the addressbar - because one cannot use widescreens for browsing but utilise any height thats available) to a quite conventional layout on my working machine.
    It is simply impossible to meet all these requierements with a single gui, so what we need is the freely adjustable one from Opera. (well: Almost completely freely. I always hate it that I have to keep the menubar enabled because someone cannot freely place "tab resize" buttons)

I had completely forgotten about this fact. I, too, use different GUI arrangements for different size and aspect ratio of display. Side tabs only go on my 24' wide format display, for instance, and I use the most compact skin possible on laptop, etc. The more adjustable, the more places you can use it comfortably. The "modern" trend is to obtain cross-platform usability by stripping everything possible out of the GUI, so there's little to "get in the way" on a phone, for instance.

• I still own an old 800x600 LCD TV/monitor.

It is surpassed by today standards, but it's still one of the best LCD I ever seen, looking at the contrast, colour fidelity and so on.

So I still use it as my main TV. Given it's connected to an HTPC it is also nice to browse the internet from the couch.

BTW using it with a standard browser wold be a pain, given most of the recent websites are too big for an 800x600 device.

Instead thanks to the Opera capabilities, it is still a pleasure to use it.

Side bu side I also installed the Opera mobile emulator which is even better, depending on the needs of the moment.

I'm afraid that this, like the caching mechanism, will never come on par, using an other than Presto engine.

• Technically, it should be possible with any engine. Obviously even Blink can display GUIs of different styles, as shown by various browsers based on it. Whats lacking is an easy to use (preferable drag&drop) interface to create another gui to display. In worst case, Blink can't handle such changes while running and would require a restart - but I could accept this. Alternatively nothing forces a software to use one engine for content and interface. I the vivaldi team still is allowed to use presto code (or if they can create a simple only-gui engine from scratch), they could simply use their own technology for the gui and place a Blink-rendered frame in the centre to render the website.

• There's non-functional elements in the GUI that suggest an Opera-style content-blocker is most likely planned. ;)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.