Minor update to Vivaldi 1.4 for Linux - Adobe Pepper Flash fix

• Vivaldi Team

We have updated Vivaldi 1.4 for Linux to change the locations we search for the Adobe Pepper (PPAPI) plugin. This ensures Flash works for even more of you.

This update is only for Linux users. You will receive it via the normal update process provided by your distro or if you can't wait, you can download it directly from us.

Download

See the full blog post here

• Vivaldi Team

First post! :P

• For me Flash isn't working on Windows 10, Vivaldi 64-bit stable. Worked fine, and just stopped at one point (some update probably), did you remove it? I did a clean install, still no Flash.

• Vivaldi Team

Are you installing the correct version of PPAPI Flash? I have updated the blog post with some Windows and macOS install instructions.

• BTW, I noticed a week or two ago that Adobe have started detecting Vivaldi 64-bit for Windows on their main screen (without going through the "otherversions" URL). Not sure if this is the case for other O/Ses and bitness but it worked for me and saved setting a few dropdown options.

• Go to Vivaldi plugins page here: vivaldi://plugins
    check if "Adobe Flash Player " is on the list and if it is activated , if not activate it.
    Last chrome updates tend to disable it on the plugins list.

• Thank you guys ! It's working perfectly here on kubuntu 16.10.

• Thank you. Hope this helps the users who were having trouble with flash.

I am envious of the delta updates for Windows users and look forward to the snap packages on linux.

• you shouldn't be pandering to Adobe Flash :-)

• Vivaldi Team

I did actually update the blog to say if you need it. Perfectly fine to not install it if you don't! ;)

• I am not sure what you mean by "updated 1.4"… I have 1.5.658.3 (latest snapshot I have on my distro), do I have to uninstall this one and install 1.4 to try this? (that would be 1.4.589.41 stable). I mean, are there updates for 1.4 not getting into 1.5's snapshots? Anyway, Flash does not work here (on openSuse 13.1), never did, I think. I have Chromium installed, the only files that smell like ppapi flash to me are: libppapi_host.so, libppapi_proxy.so, and libppapi_shared.so, all at /usr/lib/chromium/lib

• PS: vivaldi://about/ says: Flash (Disabled). I do not recalling disabling it anywhere, but maybe I did? Or maybe it simply means Vivaldi is not detecting any usable Flash installation?

• I don't think I've ever had a problem with Flash. I'm on Linux Mint 18. And I'm pretty much a Linux noob.

These are the two commands I run for Flash:
    sudo apt-get -y install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
    sudo apt-get -y install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

vivaldi://about gives me:
    Version: 23.0.0.205
    Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)

Are the recommendations in the blog post a better way, or should I stick with the way I have it, since I'm not seeing any problems?

• Vivaldi Team

1.4 is the stable release. 1.5 is in development, offered as snapshots. And yes 1.5 already had this fix. You do not need to downgrade to 1.5 stable if you are happy with the snapshots.

Regarding Flash. You need a package that provides Pepper Flash. On openSUSE one such package is chromium-pepper-flash package from the PackMan repository.

https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman

Alternatively, you can use the script that I provided:

https://gist.github.com/ruario/215c365facfe8d3c5071

Click on the above, then click on the "Download ZIP" and unpack this locally. You should then have a directory containing the file "latest-pepper-flash.sh". Run this in a terminal, like so

$ sh latest-pepper-flash.sh

It will fetch and install the latest Pepper Flash. From time to time (perhaps once a month) you should re-run this script and if there is a newer Flash it will upgrade your installed copy, otherwise it will just confirm that you have the latest version.

• Vivaldi Team

The problem is that the package pepperflashplugin-nonfree works by downloading the chrome .deb package and ripping out its copy of libpepflashplayer.so and then discarding the rest. However, with Chrome 54, libpepflashplayer.so is no longer bundled directly (it is downloaded on the fly when Chrome runs and stored in its profile directly).

You have a working flash because you installed it before Chrome 54 was released but the main script that powers pepperflashplugin-nonfree no longer works. Thus you will not receive an updated Flash. And anyone trying to install pepperflashplugin-nonfree right now will get this message:

mv: cannot stat 'unpackchrome/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so': No such file or directory

The replacement for pepperflashplugin-nonfree is called adobe-flashplugin and is provided by Adobe directly to the Canonical partner's repository. This is the package you should use. Remove pepperflashplugin-nonfree and switch over to adobe-flashplugin so that you avoid problems in the future.

P.S. chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra has nothing whatsoever to do with Flash. That package provides support for proprietary codecs as used by HTML5 audio and video.

• Great job! Works perfectly on Ubuntu 14.04. Thanks!

• Vivaldi Team

23.0.0.205 is old by the way. The latest is 23.0.0.207. Try running the update script provided bypepperflashplugin-nonfree

$ sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree –install

and you can watch it fail.

• Thanks ruario, that's the type of detailed answer I was hoping to get.

• On 32 bit linux (debian testing) there is a minor problem with flash:
    => replaying ended broadcasts from periscope does not work: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1eaKblYwMlBJX?channel=mission-space

It works perfectly on the same computer with chromium version 53.0.2785.143-1

Other packages installed:
    pepperflashplugin-nonfree 1.8.2
    Linux version 4.7.0-1-686-pae

• Vivaldi Team

That is not Flash video. You need a h264 capable libffmeg.so built for use with Chromium. I do not think there is one for Debian.

P.S. you should also pepperflashplugin-nonfree and replace it with the package mentioned here. It won't fix your issue but will mean you have a more recent Flash for use on other sites.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.