How to donate to Vivaldi

• Vivaldi Team

We’re often asked if we accept donations to support the development of Vivaldi. We really appreciate your generous offers to support us financially; however, at this stage what we would appreciate even more is some help promoting Vivaldi.

See the full blog post here

• I added a Vivaldi button on my blog. 8)

• I would prefer to donate some source code, if it was (more) open source.
    I like Vivaldi, but the current performance state of Vivaldi is subpar.

To prove myself right, I tried to code my own browser using Electron. It's way faster! Even when having coded some features I like for a browser (last-used tab management, session, mouse gestures, shortcuts).
    Sure, it don't have a lot of features that Vivaldi has gotten along the way. But disabling Vivaldi features does sadly not help on performance anyway.
    It seems to be some basics that is done wrong. Or maybe because of JS injections everywhere slows things down. Or maybe a JS framework is used for the wrong job.
    I don't know. I can't check Vivaldi's code :(

• Vivaldi Team

Thanks! :twisted:

• Vivaldi Team

Thanks for your comment Eske and offering your help regarding coding. Jon von Tetzchner shared his thoughts about Open Source here: A few words about Open Source and Vivaldi. We hear you and hope you hear us too. :wink:

• Yea, I remember reading that. Thanks for the reminder.

But this still don't make is possible to send pull requests with changes.
    I can't open a ticket/issue with a discussion about a specific implementation, in case I would like to fix/upgrade something.

I can send a bug report, and never get any response (not meant as a complaint), but that's it. I have already done this. It sometimes feels pointless when you don't know if it is taken seriously or not in the bugtracker.
    As an example, I reported a UI performance issue almost a year ago, that has still not been resolved to this date (VB-11103 for the curious people). In practice, it makes Vivaldi close to unusable on my laptop.

I sit on the sideline, looking, hoping, that important things (from my POV) will be done :)

• VB-11103 was closed June 2016 by one member of the dev team.

• It's was mostly as an example of my point.
    But thanks for the info! :)

The issue is still there though :(

Gwen-Dragon's answer doesn't express a lack of interest in your report. On the contrary, it's greatly appreciated. It simply got closed because we know about this. You can watch for VB-3327 and VB-3837 instead in the changelogs. ;)

• Oh, I see. Cheers.
    I have seen you respond to other people reports as well in other threads. It's great, but it would be nice if people knew, before they start asking or maybe even complaining about it.

But it still proves my point. I don't know about this, unless I point it out in a "random" discussion thread, and a person which have access happen to respond. It's not the greatest experience from an outside user.

I know it's not easy to just open up the bugtracker to the public. It require some work and commitment.
    I'm just telling my experience, for you guys to read :)

We get you. We've all been "externals" at some point. It's just not as easy as it sounds. You need a license for every bug tracking user, you need to handle security issues confidentially in order not to expose any users, protect the team from constant nagging inside the tracker because people want their pet bugs resolved,…
    It may get opened up at some point, but not before all those issues are sorted out. ;)

• Yea, I understand.
    I have tried it myself as an internal, within in a company.
    It was not easy, and I can only assume it's even harder when it's public to the world.

Alternatively, the creator of a certain bug could get an e-mail saying "Your issue has been confirmed" when a certain tag has been applied to it.
    That way, users have an idea if it's acknowledged or not.
    If I got a lot of "Accepted" mails for my bug reports, I might use more time doing them.

• Vivaldi Translator

i made 4 people switch to vivaldi :P

• Well, I don't have a website, but I did convince my parents and a few friends from Japan and USA to make the switch to Vivaldi - and they loved it!

By the way, back in 2006, when Opera still used the Presto engine, Opera used to power Nintendo's Wii browser. Will you do a similar partnership with gaming companies again? Because I really would love to have Vivaldi on my future NX/Switch, and I'm sure a lot of Xbox and PS4 owners would feel the same!

• I did, from my experience you need silent updates for Vivaldi. Many casual user are annoyed and some even irritated with frequent updates these days. I hope for you guys it will be introduced soon :wink:

Also very important: the people who want boycott google in some fields or minimize their use of google products or in general want to use alternatives instead products from other major players, become skeptical when they want extensions and should download something in chrome store.

These two things slow down Vivaldis market share growth.

• If I donate, will you fix my bugs, handle changes and include my ideas? :]

• I think it's also important to have some tool or way to make some companies and software to include support for Vivaldi.

For example:

Just examples, but I think that reaching out to them to include support could go a long way.

• Vivaldi Translator

The team will simply if you're sharing your wishes ;)

• Vivaldi Translator

I totally agree with you. Keeping the user who reported a bug informed should be a must. I tried to push for it, but of course, it's not a priority for now.

Before, I was also for a wildly open bug tracker. But now that I see what's going on (as I'm a soprano too), I understand that it wouldn't be optimal, and that opening the bugtracker might be a bad idea. If it's public, devs have to behave, check and double check everything they write, and there would be constant badgering from users to push for their pet bugs. Having it closed allow the devs to have more freedom to write, and exchange with each other, and taking the time they need to do the things right.
    That's why I believe that it shouldn't be open nor visible to the public.

But keeping the reporter up to date, definitely !!!

Edit : But even keeping the reporters up to date isn't that easy : you'll probably have to explain to them why their bugs have been closed as duplicate, or cannot reproduce, or won't fix, or… and that would take time too. Time is the lacking element here :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.