Can't import bookmarks etc. from opera

• Hi all, the import bookmarks, notes etc. from my opera installation doesn't work. When I click on 'import' nothing happens. Any ideas's ? Apart from that, great browser, my new favorite ! Regards, Torsten

• Hi Torsten

Do you mean from Opera-Blink or Opera-Presto? I stopped using the old 12.17 a few years ago, so have forgotten the details, but think it could export bookmarks to an html file, which you can then import to Vivaldi. If you mean Opera-Blink, here's how i did it recently [from Opera Developer 28.x]:
    1. Install this bookmarks extension [you can hide it from icon bar if you wish] into Opera… https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/bookmarks-2/
    2. Navigate to this extension's Options' "Bookmarks" section, in Opera
    3. At the bottom of the list, click the Export button. This will create a file called bookmarks.html.
    4. In Vivaldi, in its "Import bookmarks & settings" dialog, select "Bookmarks HTML file" in the "From" dropdown menu, then browse to the location of your newly-created html file. Note a small irritation; the browse dialog box [at least for me, in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE] had a file filter of "html document", which then excluded seeing the target file. However if you delete the " document" from this field, you then can see & select your html file.
    5. Voila!
    6. Note that, back in Opera, before creating the html file export, IF you'd like to include all your Speed Dial entries also in the export, make sure in Flags / Experiments you've activated the flag "Bookmarks backend for Speed Dial". If so, back in Vivaldi post-import, you'll have a node called "Speed Dial".

It worked for me, hopefully also for you.

Steffie.

• Hi Steffie,

many thanks for your advice. I meant Opera presto (which I used upto yesterday - since today Vivaldi :cheer: )
    I'll try this

Best,

Torsten

• Vivaldi Translator

Only check(select) the 'bookmark' checkbox, you can import bookmark from Presto. Don't want others now.

• No way of importing anything (not even bookmarks) from Opera Presto seems to work for me with 1.0.141.2-1 (and when trying to set the location, I get the infinite loop as in https://vivaldi.net/fr/forum/vivaldi-browser/2808-importing-data-from-opera-12-17-standalone

Hm, it seems it has been there for a long time: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser-for-linux/1301-bug-import-from-opera-presto-not-work

• Hi felagund

To import Opera-Presto bookmarks to Vivaldi, in a slightly clunky indirect way, but it still gets you to the goal without too much hassle:
    1. Launch Opera-Presto & export its bookmarks to an html file. Note the name & path to this file.
    2. In Vivaldi, in its "Import bookmarks & settings" dialog, select "Bookmarks HTML file" in the "From" dropdown menu, then browse to the location of your newly-created html file.
    3. Note a small irritation; the browse dialog box [at least for me, in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE] had a file filter of "html document", which then excluded seeing the target html file. However if you delete the " document" from this field, you then can see & select your html file.
    4. Voila!

• It doesn't work for me. I've succed to extract bookmarks.html file from opera blink. But on the importation, it only import a part of the bookmarks. The root folder i think. Forgetting every other folders.

• @moimadmax:

It doesn't work for me. I've succed to extract bookmarks.html file from opera blink. But on the importation, it only import a part of the bookmarks. The root folder i think. Forgetting every other folders.

On this machine I didn't have to worry, because it imported from Opera Presto. On a couple of my other machines, I simply copied the Opera Blink file and dropped it into my Vivaldi profile. It wasn't properly organized, but everything was there, and I just organized it after I got it into Vivaldi.

I should mention the folder-moving trick should only be done from Opera blink Developer, because it's the version that has incorporated speed dial, etc. into the bookmarks file.

• Thanks, i'll try this way.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.