Sigh...latest 1.7 preview build has not fixed

• Re: Links Open to Blank Tabs

I know its just been a month since I reported the bug, but i'm not the only one mentioning this and it is too annoying for me to continue using Vivaldi as my primary browser. Reverting back to Chrome. Maybe i'll check back sometime in the future?

• Are you sure you provided enough data to reproduce that bug? Because the topic that you replied to certainly does not contain enough information on how to reproduce it (unless it's caused by the extensions that you use) and I'm sure I haven't ever experienced such issue in Vivaldi. You should be aware that in most cases it's impossible to fix a bug that cannot be reproduced...

• Visit https://inbox.google.com, open an email with an embedded link, click and observe. Reproducible 100% of the time from multiple computers. This is all in the bug report discussions so they are aware. It was mentioned that there are reports from others seeing this as well.

• Vivaldi Translator

@rlamos
    Happen on Windows only?

I have no problem with embedded links there.

Linux/Debian sid amd64
    Vivaldi 1.7.735.29 x64

• @dLeon Windows 10 x64, Viv 32. Haven't tried on Linux.

• @rlamos That site doesn't have any links that would open in a new tab, unfortunately, so I'm unable to reproduce it. But if the issue occurs on just one site, then it must be some problem with that particular site (maybe it uses some non-standard method for opening links in new tabs that just doesn't work in Vivaldi).

I haven't mentioned that but I'm using Vivaldi 1.6.689.40 / 1.7.735.29 (both 32-bit) on Windows 10 x64. I use the stable release all the time and I haven't ever encountered such issue, so it must be somehow linked with that Google service.

• Vivaldi Translator

@pafflick
    It was embedded link inside e-mail/post. For example Unsubscribe link.
    All of them usually redirect from new tab.
    I have no problem. While @rlamos seem got hit with empty tab.

https://inbox.google.com it self seem like a combination of Gmail, Google+, Hangout, & etc. Normal links on the page is self open on current tab.

• @dLeon Yeah, I guess I'd need to register there first, when I sign in with my Google account it just shows a message that this service is turned off and three buttons - nothing more.

• Sigh ... Why does everyone think that their pet bug is the most important one to fix.

One month already, you must be kidding! I am still waiting for bugs reported in July 2015 to be fixed.

Some Tips on Bug Reporting (credits are due to Mike Brett)

• Start off by swearing at the idiots who wrote this bug fest
    • Never post a link to the site where the crash occurred. At most, give a cryptic clue — its more fun for the developers.
    • Everyone uses Windows 10 now, so there is no need to tell anyone what OS you're using. If it is a bug that doesn't occur on Windows 10 then its not worth fixing.
    • Don't bother to check your hard drive for malware or viruses. Only paranoid wimps use diagnostic system tools.
    • Be brief. Don't tell anyone what you were doing at the time.
    • When filing bugs, always send a crash report, but make sure its the wrong one. Don't give too much away at first.
    • File at least two or three more bug reports with different details, just in case the first got lost in cyber-space
    • Demand that it be fixed yesterday, and if it is not that you're going back to your previous program and won't ever use this one again
    • Every time a new version comes out, download it just to see if your pet bug was fixed

• XD

@Pesala: You forgot the final step, which recursively overlaps the first; "If it wasn't, kick up a huge fuss again."

• Vivaldi Translator

@Pesala

and if it is not that you're going back to your previous program and won't ever use this one again

I like this one.
    I also never understand why anyone want to post in product forum just to say "Bye bye [program], I'm back to [my 1st program]".

• @Pesala Add this one to the list: "Use quadrillion of extensions that cause bugs but don't bother yourself mentioning it in your report or even trying to disable any of them in the first place" 😁

• Wow, such shameful behavior.

The details such as OS, affected sites (note the plural here), et al. were provided in the bug report; this wasn't a first post asking the Community for help. I was posting merely to bring some more attention to the issue that others have raised too. Maybe someone else has seen this and knows of a workaround by now? Maybe just more discussion will elevate the priority of this in their list of bugs? Worth a shot, don't you think?

As it is, my daily work habits are impacted too much hence the reason for falling back to something else that works. Very disappointing as I am a fan of Vivaldi.

Please try to be less patronizing. Communities around projects such as this are important contributors to its success.

• @rlamos said in Sigh...latest 1.7 preview build has not fixed:

The details such as OS, affected sites (note the plural here), et al. were provided in the bug report;

None of us here have access to those reports, we're just ordinary forum members, like yourself. We don't have crystal balls either, so we can't guess those details if you don't provide them...

this wasn't a first post asking the Community for help.

I've checked your initial thread before replying here. It was just as vague as this one.

I was posting merely to bring some more attention to the issue that others have raised too.

I don't remember anyone else reporting this issue with the correlation to opening new tabs with LMB click. I haven't read all the posts to be fair, but I've been following the forums closely for the last couple of months. You haven't linked any of such reports either, so the claim about others is of no use here.

Maybe someone else has seen this and knows of a workaround by now?

Perhaps we could find a workaround too if you'd provide enough detail to help us reproduce that issue?

Maybe just more discussion will elevate the priority of this in their list of bugs?

Not necessarily. But I'm not a Vivaldi developer, I can't speak for them.

Worth a shot, don't you think?

If you're not willing to explain in enough details what is the issue, what might be causing it or when / where does it happen then it's absolutely not worth raising it in two separate threads.

Communities around projects such as this are important contributors to its success.

That's why those of us who've gained some experience with this project are trying to help the others. But it's hard to help people who come here to merely complain or whine about something they're struggling with while failing to provide any useful information about the problem itself... 🙄

As nearly as I can tell there are two people reporting this problem right now, and the developers and testers are completely unable to replicate it.

We testers and try, within our limited means, to learn enough about the problem cases to see if the cause can be narrowed down. But right now, the developers have nothing to fix, because there's nothing in Vivaldi that SHOULD do this, yet it does it on at least two systems out there, which so far points toward it being something unique with the problem systems.

• @rlamos said in Sigh...latest 1.7 preview build has not fixed:

Wow, such shameful behavior.

Maybe you think we're being too hard on you, but I think it is your own behaviour that was shameful.

Reverting back to Chrome. Maybe i'll check back sometime in the future?

You threaten that if your pet bug is not fixed as a matter of top priority that you won't continue using Vivaldi like the rest of us regulars, regardless of its minor defects, to help the developers improve it by reporting bugs., and to help other users resolve issues.

Moreover, this is a bug that no one can reproduce. Those bugs are not only difficult to fix, they're impossible to fix. If they do get “fixed” it's usually by accident.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.