vivaldi browser is suppressing power management
I have both cinnamon and kde desktops installed, and this is happening in both environments. I knew it was vivaldi, but I got a clue -- when clicking on the battery applet (im on a desktop btw) in kde it gives me the following message:
vivaldi is currently suppressing power management: webRTC has active PeerConnections
I cannot reproduce that. There is probably a tab or an extension that keeps webRTC open. There might be a little chance that disabling "Broadcast IP for Best WebRTC Performance" in vivaldi://settings/privacy/ helps.
@sophos02 Well, it happens irrespective of the tabs, or whatever is on the tabs. Its been happening for about a month maybe? maybe a couple of weeks, idk.
I do have the extensions "privacy badger" and "adblock plus" on it, so I will turn those off and see if anything is different. Did not think of this earlier.
And, btw, Im running manjaro.
Okay, privacy badger seems to be the culprit. At least I am not getting the odd message in kde anymore. I'll update if I am wrong, but I think problem solved. Is there a way to mark these things as "solved"?
That's strange. I just tested privacy badger and it doesn't seem to block power management (at least no info in the battery applet). Maybe if you reinstall pb it works again? Otherwise you can try similar extensions.
I don't know if you can mark a thread as solved or a moderator has to do it but I think you can change the title and add [solved].
Vivaldi seems to be heavy on the CPU usage. Maybe to improve performance?
I am running Manjaro XFCE
he was not really complaining about performance. On slow machines of course lightweight DEs are a good idea..
People complain that vivaldi is heavier on CPU than other browser but to me it does not really feel that way. Maybe i should try vivaldi on my old Laptop that i rarely use these days.
Anyways i just ran a little test and want to share it
The first peaks are starting vivaldi with 7 tabs open, on idle CPU usage goes to zero. The rest are opening new tabs, loading pages, clicking here and there.., i did not let it rest again. It really goes near zero when you do nothing... Scrolling and so on was just low to 20% so when reading a page i had between 2% and 20%.
The scrumbling before the first peak is fast scrolling up and down in an open tab (about 20%), the first peak is starting a video on youtube (html5), after that still playing the video usage goes down to about 15%. The peak after that is making the video fullscreen and then i just clicked stuff in the video stopping it, starting it, changing quality and so on.
I wanted to do the same for firefox to make it more interesting, unfortunately that hud does not work there
But with the usual cpu load graphs i do not really see that much of a difference..
Ok, so the hud does not work with firefox but it does work with opera.
I started opera with the same tabs as vivaldi previously (unfortunately the first peak from start is a bit cut off but it was at about 80%) and opened tabs, load websites, started video and scrolled up and down. While this is far from being representative i think that there is not that much of a difference between these chromium based browsers...