How can I delete all my bookmarks?

• How can I delete all my bookmarks? I want to do that so that I can then re-import my latest bookmarks from my HTML file. If I import them now - and I have thousands of bookmarks - they just get added on to my previous bookmarks. Also for some reason I have hundreds of random bookmarks listed underneath my bookmarks file. I would like to get rid of them in a batch instead of trying to delete each one individually. Holding down shift doesn't work. But my main inquiry is how to have a fresh slate for importing my latest bookmarks. Right now the only way I can figure out how to do this is by uninstalling Vivaldi and then reinstalling it. There must be a better way.

• !!! Deleting ALL EXISTING BOOKMARKS !!!
    Open bookmark panel with F6
    Hit Ctrl A
    Hit Enf
    Goto Trash folder
    Context menu "Empty Trash"

• Gwen D - Sorry but you lost me. My bookmark panel is already open on the left. Ctrl+A just highlights what I've just typed in here. What's "Enf"?

• Click the first bookmark/folder, press and hold shift, click the last bookmark/folder. This selects all bookmarks. Then right click on any selected bookmark and in the contextmenu click delete. Then right click trash folder and click delete again. Deletes all bookmarks.

• @luetage said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

Click the first bookmark/folder, press and hold shift, click the last bookmark/folder. This selects all bookmarks. Then right click on any selected bookmark and in the contextmenu click delete. Then right click trash folder and click delete again. Deletes all bookmarks.

That's what I tried before, and when I wrote "Holding down shift doesn't work" I meant that that trick doesn't work. Does it work for you?

• OK, the method already given should work, but if you're having problems, here's an alternative.

1. Close V & make sure no V processes are running [eg, inspect Task Manager]
    2. With Explorer [etc], navigate to your V's Default folder [if you don't know it, prior to closing V, look in Help - About, then read the bottom line [eg, mine [in Linux, but don't worry, you'll still get the right answer in Windows] is Profile Path /DATA/AAA_docsNdata/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default]
    3. Open Default, select & delete the 2 files Bookmarks & Bookmarks.bak

Now relaunch V, & proceed with your fresh import.

• @Steffie Hooray it worked! Thank you! (But I'll never remember all that for the next time...)

• @xx22 - oh yes you will, i have supreme confidence in your capabilities! :grin:

Oh, btw, i trust you now see that in future, if you decide you want to export your V bookmarks to another chromium-based browser, you can simply do the above procedure "in reverse", if you get what i mean. Alternatively, if sometime some irreversible disaster was to befall your V bookmarks, but you had them also in another chromium-based browser, you could copy them from that into V, simply via those 2 files [you will find them in the associated Default folder of the other c-browsers]. Easy!

• @Steffie

oh yes you will, i have supreme confidence in your capabilities! :grin:

Ha ha you overestimate me! There ought to be an easier way, though. Shouldn't all the old bookmarks automatically be deleted when I import the new ones - or better yet an option to save or delete them? Does the Shift+delete trick work for you? It doesn't for me. Can you follow Gwen-Dragon's directions? I can't.

• @xx22 said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

Can you follow Gwen-Dragon's directions? I can't.

@Gwen-Dragon is German - by "Enf" she is referring to the "Del" (delete) key.
    So it's a straightforward:

• Open Bookmarks (in Panel view).
    • Ctrl-A (to select all).
    • Del (to delete all selected.

• @TbGbe said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

@xx22 said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

Can you follow Gwen-Dragon's directions? I can't.

@Gwen-Dragon is German - by "Enf" she is referring to the "Del" (delete) key.
    So it's a straightforward:

• Open Bookmarks (in Panel view).
    • Ctrl-A (to select all).
    • Del (to delete all selected.

Oh, well that helps, but here's the snag I run into: Ctrl+A selects almost everything on this page, not the bookmarks. How can I make Ctrl+A, or anything else, select all of my bookmarks? When u do Ctrl+A does it select all your bookmarks? I am using Windows 7 64 bit and:

Vivaldi 1.6.689.40 (Stable channel) (32-bit)

• @xx22 Your problems may be due to the setting "Open Bookmark Panel Items with Single Click"

Disable it in settings. Imported bookmarks are saved in a new folder named "Imported Bookmarks" in the root of the Bookmarks Panel.

• @Pesala said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

@xx22 Your problems may be due to the setting "Open Bookmark Panel Items with Single Click"

Disable it in settings. Imported bookmarks are saved in a new folder named "Imported Bookmarks" in the root of the Bookmarks Panel.

Great detective work! That was it. Now I can do the shift+Del to delete all my bookmarks. Ctr+A still only highlights this window (and sometimes this page) but not the bookmarks, but no matter, with the Shift+Del trick it will be a cinch. Thank you!

• @xx22 Yess, DEL. I apologize.
    I got a bad influenza the last days when i posted. So my brain was not able to switch correct between local german and WWW english mode while describing the key.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in How can I delete all my bookmarks?:

@xx22 Yess, DEL. I apologize.
    I got a bad influenza the last days when i posted. So my brain was not able to switch correct between local german and WWW english mode while describing the key.

I hope that you are getting better! I had a horrible influenza attack four years ago and I was traveling at the time and I wound up in California emergency rooms twice.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.