vivaldi://extensions only in private window?

• Is this a "feature" that the vivaldi://extensions tap/window only works in private mode? 0-o

• Vivaldi Translator

@Zippydsmlee
    I don't get what you mean.
    You mean, on your Vivaldi, the Extension page (vivaldi://extensions) only open in private window?

• Yes, every time I put it in it closes the tab it was in unless its in private mode. Its strange. 0-o I've reset vivaldi via removing the app data folder, checked it worked fine then installed a few extensions and it only works in private mode again. Oddest thing I have seen.

@Zippydsmlee I haven't heard of a case in which such issue wasn't a fault of an extension. Some malicious extensions from the Google Chrome Webstore are closing the extensions page as soon as the user opens it, to prevent less advanced users from removing those extensions. One of the most popular examples of such a malicious extension is Video Download Helper.

The easiest way to remove such extension is to stop its process using the browser's task manager (Menu > Tools > Task Manager or [SHIFT]+[ESC]) and then removing the extension on the extensions page.

• Okay, looks like one of them is bad, not really had that issue with firefox add ons more from external installers and what not. I think I found it. Trying to switch and get use to things before FF kills all its add ons. LOL

• Vivaldi Translator

@Zippydsmlee

reset vivaldi via removing the app data folder

Why did you do that?
    It's easier to just uninstall/reinstall extensions if you want to preserve your Vivaldi config.

then installed a few extensions and it only works in private mode again

If you disable all your extension, does Extension Page open normally again?
    Maybe Vivaldi conflict with one of your extensions.

Could I assume you know how to find what extension cause that?

• @dLeon said in vivaldi://extensions only in private window?:

@Zippydsmlee

reset vivaldi via removing the app data folder

Why did you do that?
    It's easier to just uninstall/reinstall extensions if you want to preserve your Vivaldi config.

then installed a few extensions and it only works in private mode again

If you disable all your extension, does Extension Page open normally again?
    Maybe Vivaldi conflict with one of your extensions.

Could I assume you know how to find what extension cause that?

if I open the extension page, it closes. I just found private mode to work a bit ago, generally malware bytes and kaspersky nuke anything remotely bad even some low level stuff. If they miss something I assume the worse and just delete everything. I tried deleting the extension folder but it still did it after I restarted vivaldi, I assumed it screwed it all up.

edit

Removing from a private window did the trick, I'll try and remember that trick if anything goes fishy again, dose vivaldi have a safe mode?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Zippydsmlee

dose vivaldi have a safe mode?

Unfortunately no.
    I also could use that. But, Chromium (which Vivaldi based on) doesn't/never implement it.
    What you've done by using Private/Incognito mode to access Extension Page is the only known reliable method that still working to this day.

@Zippydsmlee Thanks for the hint!

I get a crash vivaldi://extensions in a Private window.

I reported this as a bug: VB-25335 "Crash with vivaldi://extensions in Private window"

• @Gwen-Dragon crash confirmed in latest SS

@iAN-CooG Yes, i know. :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.