Onpage search needs improvements



  • The same day I started using Vivaldi, I noticed search needs some improvements. It looks Vivaldi uses some caching for searches, so search phrase is marked as "not found" while it actually exists. An example:

    Open any page, let's say http://simplehtmldom.sourceforge.net/manual.htm

    Then, try searching for text "Matches elements that have the specified attribute and it ends with a certain value." (without quote). It will return 0 results, which is TRUE. Now, click the "Attribute Filters" tab under "How to find HTML elements?" section and click F3 (or simply click right arrow in search-bar that is already opened at the top) and you will see 0 results again, which is FALSE because this text clearly exists on page.

    According to my experience, this bug exists in almost every page which uses tabs, making onpage search almost useless because you need to reload page and try re-entering search phrase manually every time some tab is opened.



  • I think this is an issue for all Chromium based browsers (Chrome suffers from the same issue - just tested it). Removing a single character from the query is a workaround.

    Having had to use Chrome pretty regularly after the demise of O12, my new default is actually not to trust page search results to begin with :grinning:



  • @toxpal said in Onpage search needs improvements:

    According to my experience, this bug exists in almost every page which uses tabs, making onpage search almost useless because you need to reload page and try re-entering search phrase manually every time some tab is opened.

    I think it's a known bug, only it has nothing to do with "tabs". This issue is related to dynamically created content and thus each website that uses AJAX or just simple JavaScript to create or modify the content of that page without reloading it suffers from this issue. One example of such website is this very forum.

    The search feature still requires some polishing and fixes, so if you have any bugs to report you can always do so by filing a bug report.


    How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi:
    Please describe as precisely as you can and report the bug at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/.
    You will get a bug confirmation mail and in a reply to this mail you can add more information and files as attachments for the testers and bug tracking team.
    Thanks in advance.




  • @Xan_ said in Onpage search needs improvements:

    I think this is an issue for all Chromium based browsers (Chrome suffers from the same issue - just tested it). Removing a single character from the query is a workaround.

    Yes, I also noticed this workaround, but it doesn't always help. Being a programmer, I search documentation very often, and sometimes I only need to find a single character (like * or !) on page, so I literally have nothing to remove from query after loading a new tab, Because if I do, query will be empty.



  • A quick update: after using Vivaldi for some more time, I found search doesn't work not only for pages that use JS/Ajax (or internal website tabs), but for ABSOLUTELY ALL tabs inside browser itself.

    For example, if you open a new tab in Vivaldi and search for text "sometext" inside it (while no such word exists in website), Vivaldi will NOT find "sometext" in any other tab (website) which was opened before making that search (even if such word exists in all the remaining tabs). You will need to manually re-enter "sometext" for each and every tab you want to perform search.

    You can test it yourself easily at any time.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.