Vivaldi - why should I switch?

• Hello,
    I do not mean this to be a flame post but I need to ask this. I was a very happy Opera user until they switched to Chromium. Then I switched to Chrome. What is the incentive to users to switch to Vivaldi? What special things can you offer? You are using almost identical core which means all the bad things about Chrome are still in place (horrendous memory usage due due to extensions, many processes running with the name chrome etc.).
    I simply fail to see the reason why anyone should switch to Vivaldi. Old Opera was different as it had a different Core than others but what is the point to have multiple browsers like current Opera or Vivaldi if they are all using the same base as Chrome (or Chromium)?

• @leosenko said in Vivaldi - why should I switch?:

... What is the incentive to users to switch to Vivaldi? What special things can you offer? ...

You could always try it yourself and make your own decision rather than go by what others think.

• Different user interface.
    If you used old Opera you would appreciate the mail client(being developed) and customization.
    The big one for me is being able to click on a tab to minimize and return to previous tab.
    Not available in other chrome clones.
    The development is user focused not revenue focused.

• The former CEO of Opera, Jon von Tetzchner, has released the Vivaldi Browser for fans of the old Opera. His mission is to create a browser with all of the power and flexibility of Old Opera.

It will take time, but after two years Vivaldi is now my default browser. I am just waiting for the Mail client so that I can dump Old Opera, and a few more options for customisation to keep me happy. I have never used Chrome and I only used Firefox when pages were broken in Opera.

• Vivaldi Team

If you want to know more on what Vivaldi has to offer, I guess I would recommed reading https://vivaldi.com/ :)

Also we're building a browser for power users who needs more features out of their browsing experience than a minimalist experience. We have many native features such a grouping tabs, panel bars and more. Lastly we respect your privacy by not tracking you when using it.

Hope you try it out, and like it!

• I think it really depends on your surfing behaviour what vivaldi has to offer.

For me it is a very nice approach to have a ton of customise options (and they are still growing).
    In fact I maybe use half of them actively but the point is that not every user is the same so you can't just throw a product at them and say "Here you have two options and now be happy users".

I like the possibility to tweak around,
    changing the color, placing the tabs at the side or the bottom, making changes to the order in which tabs respond if you close one or where they should be placed when opened even split them and show two or more at once, have your favourite sites in a sidepanel so you can surf while you surf ^^, make your own searchengine shortcuts, alter shortcuts and mouse gestures etc...
    After I tried close to all options and gave them a chance to proof their usefulness to me, one by one I found the settings that suited my online behaviour and after this testing time it somehow wasn't not a browser anymore it was kind of my browser.

This and the great community in combination with the feeling that the devs really listen to us (something I rarely experienced in the 20.xx opera forum) makes me really like this project a lot.

I'd recommend that you'll just give it a try as @aesouza said and maybe just quit old habits while testing and even try options you think you don't even need (worked well for me).

But keep in mind that Vivaldi is still in the making - so it isn't perfect yet - you might will stumble upon a bug or two (especially if you use the Snapshot / Beta -version) but the forum will help you or you can report it so it maybe even gets fixed with the new snapshot being released every few days.

TL:DR
    Long story short - I really like it and you should give it a try - just because! ; )

• I just got Vivaldi a few days ago, but so far it's great. I've already customized it more than I ever could when I used Chrome and Firefox. You can stack tabs to save space and tile stacked tabs next to each other, which is way easier than having to use two windows like you would with regular Chrome. It's possible to change minute things like where new tabs appear, which saves more time than you'd think. Generally I can get to anything in fewer clicks than I could with any other browser I've tried. Personally, I don't see why Chromium based browsers taking up RAM is a problem unless it's actually hindering other programs. It's never done that for me. I don't get why some people want unused RAM sitting around doing nothing.

@leosenko: Long story short - ALL browsers are slowly shifting to multi-process. You won't be able to avoid that forever.

What Vivaldi offers that no one else does is a highly customizable interface, and greater user-responsiveness. If you have an idea in mind of how you think a browser ought to interact with you, you'll be able to make Vivaldi like that. If, in time, Vivaldi does not achieve this (and it's rapidly moving in that direction), it will have failed in its prime mission.

(horrendous memory usage due due to extensions, many processes running with the name chrome etc.)

I believe that Vivaldi aims at delivering a lot of features to reduce user's need for extensions and thus reduce the system resources usage. Besides, power users appreciate software that can be suited to their needs - not the other way. Vivaldi is becoming such software and this is why I switched (I'm familiar with IE, MS Edge, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Maxthon and I know what I'm doing 😁).

• @leosenko

Read the recommendations above, mainly from @Aronand, @pafflick and follow their indications. If this doesn't provoke a enthusiastic adhesion and disposition to ascertain all, from your part, then, think too about the community here existent and get acquaintance on it.

See, also, that here there is a resuscitated My Opera (but still better), where one can maintain reciprocal communications, make new friends, reciprocal chats, including from internal mail. My Opera's extinction was a great and sorrow loss for me.

Hello,
    I do not mean this to be a flame post but I need to ask this. ... What is the incentive to users to switch to Vivaldi? What special things can you offer? ...
    I simply fail to see the reason why anyone should switch to Vivaldi. ..

I do not mean this to be a flame reply but I need to ask this. ... What is the incentive for non-users to even post such queries?

V is free, free, s/w. There is no penalty, other than a little bit of time, in downloading, installing, configuring & playing with it. Going hands-on with it [& btw, probably within the first 5' - 15', what's more] would give one an infinitely better feel for its portfolio of features & functions than one might read or hear from others. If that intimate exposure is insufficient to win one over, what harm has been done?

Conversely, one might instead be enthused & excited by its richness of form & function compared to all the dross out there, & choose to adopt it. Either way, finding out if V floats your boat or not is so easy & fast, that i always find it incomprehensible for some people to eschew this process in favour of preconceived ideas & defence of perceived status quo [even when that conclusion is utterly incorrect].

Holy Zarquon, just try it, to make up your own mind, instead of coming here & quasi-flaming.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.