Cloning complete Vivaldi settings

• Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to clone complete vivaldi settings (includding add-on settings) to a different computer (also Linux (mint))? If so, how do I go about doing that? Just copy the folder, or is there something more to it? :-)

• @Aliante - i do lots of that; between my 2 physical PCs, & also between multiple VMs on one of those PCs. I copy the entire Default directory & paste it into the targeted destination. Everything survives, except the passwords.

Maui 2.1 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.4.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Aliante
    As long same Operating System (OS), then yes, just copy-paste away.
    If it Linux to Windows or Windows to Linux then no copy-paste without crying.

• @Steffie said in Cloning complete Vivaldi settings:

Everything survives, except the passwords.

Wow, even extensions and their settings?
    I thought they would be "lost" as well. Although I haven't had a chance to try it.

• Vivaldi Team

The following explains some key information stored under the Default folder:

Bookmarks: This contains bookmarks and Speed Dials information.

Notes: This contains notes information.

Sessions: This contains saved tabs sessions.

Login Data: This contains website passwords. Note: This file is encrypted and is only usable on the machine that created it.

Preferences and Local App Settings\mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli: This contains Vivaldi settings and configurations.

Web Data: This contains autofill data.

Current Session: This contains data on open tabs.

Top Sites: This contains thumbnails.

History: This contains website history.

Cookies: Website data.

Extension Rules, Extension State, Extensions, Local Extension Settings, Local Storage, Managed Extension Storage, Extension Cookies and Secure Preferences: All extension preferences and extension data are stored here.

• On Linux you have to clone the keyring folder (from GNOME keyring or KDE kwallet) if you dont want to loose passwords!
    But i did not test with current 1.6 Stable and 1.7 Snapshot
    !!! CAUTION !!!
    !!! Before testing backup your linux profile. !!!
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/5546/backup-copying-of-passwords-to-other-account-kde-gnome

UPDATE: Should work as users said in https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/12529/passwords/9

• I'm using Linux Mint (Mate flavor).

Awesome info guys. Thanks. Up until recently I was a FireFox guy, but it wasn't working good on my new laptop for some strange, which lead me to discover Vivaldi, and I fell in love... Now I'm installing it on all computers and recommending it to everybody (-:

Glad to see a solution exists. Thank you all for the great tips! I'll be sure to try it soon (-:

• @TbGbe said in Cloning complete Vivaldi settings:

@Steffie said in Cloning complete Vivaldi settings:

Everything survives, except the passwords.

Wow, even extensions and their settings?
    I thought they would be "lost" as well. Although I haven't had a chance to try it.

Yeah, sure... but as dLeon said, that's Linux to Linux, or Windows to Windows. If you wanna go "cross-species", it's less simple, & needs more manual work [including needing to manually reinstall all your extensions if i recall correctly (left Win for Freedom a couple of yrs ago, so memory is dim now)], but copying across Tabs, Bookmarks, Notes, Custom Dictionary, History etc still works ok.
    .....................................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui 2.1 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.4.

• Can someone tell me the path to Vivaldi in Linux Mint? I am having difficulties locating it, and the time has come to "clone" the browser (-:

• @Aliante Try (different for Stable and Snapshot)

Executable Path

• /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
    • /opt/vivaldi-snapshot/vivaldi-snapshot

Profile Path

• /home/(yourusername)/.config/vivaldi/Default
    • /home/(yourusername)/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default

Should also be displayed from Vivaldi - Help/About

• @Aliante -- well, yours probably would be similar to mine i expect:
    /home/steffie/.config/vivaldi-snapshot/Default

To see your specific path, look down the bottom of vivaldi://version/
    ................................................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 2.1 "Blue Tang" x64 Plasma 5.8.4.

• @TbGbe -- curses! :-)

• Hah! Awesome guys! Thank you so much! (-:

• @Aliante -- Guys? Humpfh.

• My apologies @Steffie ^^ It's just a matter of speech. Also, I'm a non-native speaker, so there's that ^^ Thirdly, I do not know a single female whose "techy, geeky skills" go beyond posting pics on Instagram/Facebook, so your avatar/username went completely undetected by my eye/brain combo. Something similar happens in countries where biking culture isn't widespread. The card drivers simply "fail to see" the bike/cycle riders (-:

I should stop now, right? Feel like I'm digging my grave deeper instead of putting the dirt back in ^^

• @Aliante -- You got it right when you referred to the golden rule of holes; stop digging once one finds oneself down the bottom of one.

As for your "Thirdly" ... well my goodness! Really! Let's see, here's an analogy. I do not know a single Particle Physicist personally, yet i do know they exist. I do not know a single Neurosurgeon personally, yet i do know they exist. I do not know a single mountain-climber personally, yet i do know they exist. I do not know a single browser software developer personally, hey, maybe they don't exist? :-)

• @Aliante said in Cloning complete Vivaldi settings:

Thirdly, I do not know a single female whose "techy, geeky skills" go beyond posting pics on Instagram/Facebook

Quick, hide before @steffie @Gwen-Dragon reads this :worried:

• Prolly a good thing my daughter, former IT director and current digital graphics developer for such unknowns as Dell and Media Loft, doesn't read here. I think her gaze combined with those of @Gwen-Dragon , @Steffie, @patricia-aas and @margarita would reduce @Aliante to a puddle of undifferentiated bits and bytes. :O

• @Ayespy -- Tee hee.

Commencing energisation boot sequence of Ghastly Deathray Stare, in 5, 4, 3, ...

• @Steffie
    Hey guys, this guy thinks you should stop guying that guy about his use of "guys". :wink:
    Definition of guy

1. often capitalized : a grotesque effigy of Guy Fawkes traditionally displayed and burned in England on Guy Fawkes Day
    2. chiefly British : a person of grotesque appearance
    3. a : man, fellow
      b : person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>
    4. individual, creature <the other dogs pale in companion to this little guy>
    5. (verb) to make fun of : ridicule

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guys
    :vulcan_tone2:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.