Bookmarks rename bug

• Sorry if it's wrong forum, but I couldn't find a separate forum for Bugs.

1.6.689.40 (Stable channel) (32-bit)

Can't rename bookmarks. If I go to Bookmarks tab, right-click bookmark, select Rename and enter a new/modified name, it reverts back to the old name the same second. The only way to rename bookmarks I found is to go to Bookmarks tab, select bookmark, then enter new name in the RIGHT UPPER corner (just above bookmarked page's screenshot).

P.S. I also think clicking Rename should allow modifying bookmarked URL as well (like in Opera)

• Vivaldi Translator

@toxpal
    If you use mouse to click after "internal rename", then yes it got revert back. You need to use Enter/Return key.

About your PS, I agree.

• Oh, never thought of that. Thanks.

By the way, I believe there should be some Submit/OK button then (or both methods should work identical), because it's really confusing now. Renaming bookmark in upper corner and moving mouse away saves changes, while renaming bookmark in the same window (but using Rename option instead) works a different way.

• 'By the way, I believe there should be some Submit/OK button then (or both methods should work identical), because it's really confusing now.'

I fully agree with your remark. I thought this was a bug too. It's annoying because not logical and that is why it brought me here.

• @dLeon

I prefer to just left-click in order to save a re-named bookmark. This is how it's done in most browsers. Why do it differently? I sometimes forget, old habit.

• @Dietrich said in Bookmarks rename bug:

@dLeon

I prefer to just left-click in order to save a re-named bookmark. This is how it's done in most browsers. Why do it differently?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Dietrich
    Check Feature requests for 1.8 / 1.9 if it been requested & vote for it. If not, then you could request it while others could vote.

Personally, I prefer using Enter key. Sometime (mostly in File Manager), I accidentally click the mouse button.
    "Renaming" is using keyboard anyway and Enter key just 1 click away.
    Sorry, it's a personal opinion from heavy PC Desktop keyboarder. I'm actually faster to Point a file~F2~rename~enter. Than moving my hand away back to mouse.

• @dLeon @Dietrich

Why not both? This is a personal preference. Like I used to say - someone likes the mother other the........

Using left-click on the mouse or short-cut / enter a key will work for me. The problems I got with the key short-cuts how to remember them all. I use the keys I remember, then the mouse is last resort.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Mogle said in Bookmarks rename bug:

Why not both? This is a personal preference. Like I used to say - someone likes the mother other the........

I'm not against any of your ideas. Both Enter or Mouse implemented together also good. I'm just saying I'm on the Enter side. :smile:

Using left-click on the mouse or short-cut / enter a key will work for me. The problems I got with the key short-cuts how to remember them all. I use the keys I remember, then the mouse is last resort.

Yes, remembering is the hardest part. Especially, I'm getting old. :grin:
    For long time I've done this to ease my pain.

• Firefox shortcuts as based for re-setting other browsers & file managers.
    • Vim shortcuts for editors.
    • bash readline shortcuts for one liner.

Believe it or not, I unintentionally keep pressing : & / everywhere out of habits.

• I am having the same issue regarding renaming bookmarks. I am using version 1.7.735.48, stable and this bug still has not been fixed. Vivaldi programmers, where are you?

• @ghjohnson I'm sure it's already fixed in current snapshot, the programmers are working hard, you'd notice it if you followed the snapshots releases.

• Vivaldi Translator

@ghjohnson
    The newest snapshot 1.8 was in sometime ago.
    One of "fix" is
    "[Bookmarks] Always show details in the panel (VB-23752)"

If you edit/rename in that panel editor, you could always just press the mouse to finish it.

Although,
    My suggestion above with just using Enter after rename a bookmark is fast
    ABC ~ rename ~ CBA [Enter key] ~ done.

P.S: I don't know who the he#$ downvoted you for just asking question.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.