An idea for cheap/simple syncing (Customize profile location)

• Hi everyone,

I was thinking, if the user could customize where Vivaldi looked for it's profile files, the user could handle syncing by storing their Vivaldi profile in a dropbox/onedrive/gdrive... That way, as they move from machine to machine, their existing cloud solution will keep Vivaldi in sync for them at no cost to the Vivaldi team.

What does everyone think? Is this already technically possible (I'm still new to Vivaldi and am not familiar with it's architecture)

Idea ( !!! Not tested and without warrtanty !!!):
    You need a program which maps a remote network location to a local drive f.ex. Y:
    Then you may start Vivaldi with f.ex this parameter:
    vivaldi.exe --user-data-dir="Y:\Vivaldi\Profile"

• @Gwen-Dragon Thank you, that works!

I moved the User Data folder from \AppData\Local\Vivaldi to my OneDrive and changed the Vivaldi shortcut to this:

C:\Users\Micheal\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe --user-data-dir="C:\Users\Micheal\OneDrive\Vivaldi\User Data"

Works great! Now I can keep the user-profile in sync across my devices!

• Hi, can you check if it is working with two or more devices working at the same time, please?
    I checked with Dropbox and Linux but got duplication of data base files.
    Backup your profile first.

Cheers, mib

I never tested if remote mounts into local filesystem will work. I guess that may result in problems with file locking and duplicated or crapped database files

• @michealpwalls said in An idea for cheap/simple syncing (Customize profile location):

@Gwen-Dragon Thank you, that works!

I moved the User Data folder from \AppData\Local\Vivaldi to my OneDrive and changed the Vivaldi shortcut to this:

C:\Users\Micheal\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe --user-data-dir="C:\Users\Micheal\OneDrive\Vivaldi\User Data"

Really??? You're syncing your whole profile directory.
    That's a lot of files that change every time you just open the browser let alone actually browsing.
    Besides that I can't see this working with the security and complexity of modern browsers.
    I sync some application config files by placing them in my sync clients folder and then linking to them and that's about it.
    Can only see trouble with what you are doing.

• @CantankRus said in An idea for cheap/simple syncing (Customize profile location):

@michealpwalls said in An idea for cheap/simple syncing (Customize profile location):

@Gwen-Dragon Thank you, that works!

Really??? You're syncing your whole profile directory.
    That's a lot of files that change every time you just open the browser let alone actually browsing.
    Besides that I can't see this working with the security and complexity of modern browsers.
    I sync some application config files by placing them in my sync clients folder and then linking to them and that's about it.
    Can only see trouble with what you are doing.

Unfortunately you're right, in the long run this only caused problems for me and I gave up.

I'm going to wait for the Vivaldi team to work out a proper solution...

@michealpwalls: Sync is being done right. It's closer to release than you might imagine.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.