Weird Purple plus sign

• whenever i watch videos from the EXPOSED TRUTH channel i get a weird purple plus sign popping up on top of the tab. its only videos from this peculiar channel (visiting the channel page itself doesn't make the purple plus sign show up) and i don't have it with other videos i watch. as far as i know ive not encountered this before so im not sure wether this is an extension of some sort.

does anyone know what this might be?

http://i.imgur.com/B7ajRdp.png

• Vivaldi Translator

@Endless_Slumber
    Probably better if you provide the site so anyone could check what's that really is.

• well, i can give you a random video from the channel but it shows up on most if not all videos of this particular channel for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nj9rbL2-Do

sorry for the subject matter, watching conspiracy videos is a guilty pleasure of mine :)

• It's the site changing the favicon using JavaScript, like for example this forum does when someone responds to your message. It may also be some browser extension changing it to notify you of something. I have no idea what that specific purple plus sign means.

• i already tried disabling all extensions(of which i have like 5) and refreshing the pages. i've never heard of youtube channels being able to change your favicon. i think that would be all over the place if possible. i don't mean to make a big deal about it but it does kinda puzzle me. never seen anything like it before.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Endless_Slumber
    It's not extensions responsibility.
    Maybe the channel owner (because it's Youtube) turning on something. I don't post on Youtube.

Just my 2 cents, that's a "Please Subscribe" icons.

On many social media sites a number like (XX) in pages'S title means: XX new feeds/comments/posts.

The title of the page of your video has a number in parentheses.
    Vivaldi thinks this may be the number of new feeds/posts/comments/etc.

• @Gwen-Dragon said:

On many social media sites a number like (XX) in pages'S title means: XX new feeds/comments/posts.

The title of the page of your video has a number in parentheses.
    Vivaldi thinks this may be the number of new feeds/posts/comments/etc.

Oh, that must be it. I had no idea of such a feature. :) But when I looked at the image more closely, the sign is partly outside of the favicon. And now that I bothered to open the video, I see a similar plus sign but the circle is blue.

2017 new messages!

• The "plus" icon has been bothering me as well, as I could not find any documentation for it, and one cannot interact with it because if clicked, it will close the tab since the "x" icon is also there.

0_1487958971066_screenshot-55.jpg

In my opinion, that's just wrong UI design. Extra tab information should be "AWAY" from an interactive element, such as a tab close button, not on top of it.

In addition, this circle with a plus sign also sits on top of the favicon for the tab, which can obscure other favicon image information.

With respect to what the indicator actually is, I was lucky enough to catch the "+" sign turn into a number that matched my unread GMail messages.

0_1487959001798_screenshot-54.jpg

So I think it's safe to confirm that the circle is an indicator of page changes, as Gwen-Dragon suggested.

The fact that your circle is purple is likely to be tied to your UI color scheme. You can see that mine happens to be blue.

The nice thing is that this feature can be managed in the settings under "Detect Page Title Notifications".

0_1487958875312_screenshot-56.jpg image url)

Hope this helps someone who is new to the browser and not familiar with this particular UI element.

• Vivaldi Translator

@sengseng
    That icon is only notification & well... it's only an icon. We couldn't do anything to it, so does to any icons actually.

It just happen the icon placement is on same place with close button in Mac(?) or a few Linux Window Manager themes.

The notification coded to the site. Color only part of it.
    Chromium based browser support such kind of icon.

• @sengseng said:

one cannot interact with it because if clicked, it will close the tab since the "x" icon is also there.

Extra tab information should be "AWAY" from an interactive element, such as a tab close button, not on top of it.

How is it on top of any button? I don't get this from your screenshots.

I was lucky enough to catch the "+" sign turn into a number that matched my unread GMail messages.

0_1487959001798_screenshot-54.jpg

I would call that a bit excessive – the same numerical information is displayed three times on the same tab. :D

The fact that your circle is purple is likely to be tied to your UI color scheme. You can see that mine happens to be blue.

Yes, it's likely the "highlight" color of the theme in use.

@dLeon said:

The notification coded to the site. Color only part of it.
    Chromium based browser support such kind of icon.

It's a page title notification, meaning that it's detected from a number in parentheses in the page's title like Gwen-Dragon explained, not from any special encoding in the page's source like the actual favicon that's displayed beneath it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

• Vivaldi Translator

@kumiponi

It's a page title notification, meaning that it's detected from a number in parentheses in the page's title like Gwen-Dragon explained, not from any special encoding in the page's source like the actual favicon that's displayed beneath it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I said "coded" like make html code or javascript code, Python code, etc.
    Not encoding. Encoding is much more for languages support.

The site need something to detect it isn't it?
    What do you thing the site use to detect total mails or post?
    Most of time it's Javascript if not the only way; and somebody need to code it then used by the site.

@kumiponi Quick facts for you:

1. On Mac, the "close" button is placed on the left side of the tab.
    2. A special rule was created to detect page notifications on Gmail.
    3. In other cases, the Page Title Notifications are derived from the number in parentheses at the beginning of the page's title.
    4. The color of the notification bubble uses the "Highlight" color value from your current Theme.

• @dLeon said:

I said "coded" like make html code or javascript code, Python code, etc.
    Not encoding. Encoding is much more for languages support.

Well, generally, to encode means to transform or embed information into some other format (code). In this case, it could be a special HTML tag. Maybe they'll include it into the specification in the future... :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.