Why is Vivaldi 64-Bit Version Preferred?

• I have a 32-bit desktop computer & I just upgraded to Linux Cinnamon v18.1. When I went to Vivaldi's download site the two 64-bit versions [DEB & RPM] both had the notations "recommended". Because I wasn't comfortable about a possible adventure of trying to make a 64-bit browser work in a 32-bit machine I opted for the 32-bit [DEB] version & had no difficulties. [Indeed, v1.6.689.46 loads within 5 seconds instead of about 17 as it did with Mint v17.2 & I only had one freeze-up when using Facebook in about 2 weeks instead of several each session!] So, my question is: will the 64-bit DEB version of Vivaldi work in a 32-bit computer? [I suspect that it won't.] Thanks for your hard work & assistance!

• @Wireaddict
    64bit applications won't work in 32bit system.
    32bit applications could work on 64bit system, as long you have/install 32bit libraries. Linux/Debian call this multi-arch.

• @dLeon
    As for why 64bit is recommended.
    If I'm not mistaken, probably for the future. Chrome plan to drop 32bit support. So expect upstream Chromium to work that way. I'm not sure about this one, somebody FIX ME.
    If upstream "do" that, maintaining a large un-supported libraries could be a major PITA.

• Because 32bit Linux is so 2002 :D
    jk but 64bit has been standard in linux for a decade i think and it is probably just more tested than the 32bit version. The other way round than in windows.

• @sophos02 said in Why is Vivaldi 64-Bit Version Preferred?:

it is probably just more tested than the 32bit version

Err.. no. For very first versions of Vivaldi (<v1.x), it was 32bit for the recommended. Just these days they focus to sharpen the 64bit.

• @dLeon said in Why is Vivaldi 64-Bit Version Preferred?:

@sophos02 said in Why is Vivaldi 64-Bit Version Preferred?:

it is probably just more tested than the 32bit version

Err.. no. For very first versions of Vivaldi (<v1.x), it was 32bit for the recommended. Just these days they focus to sharpen the 64bit.

So now it is focused as i said..
    What i wanted to say is that i wouldn't mind installing 32bit in a 32bit environment as long as it is still there. I wouldn't install it in a 64bit environment even if they wrote "recommended" bold, red, flashing behind 32bit. I saw that before and i really didn't see the point back then. It was in pre-beta stage and a recommendation for any arch seemed misguided. "They are both experimental but 32bit maybe a little less so we recommend it no matter what arch you have". I still think it is misguided as you cannot even install the "preferred" 64bit in 32bit.

• As said before, the Linux world has been heavily 64-bit oriented for a long time, and now even the last bastion of 32-bit PC programs, Windows, has shifted its focus to 64-bit with Windows 10.

I suspect that the Vivaldi team doesn't want to put too much resources into testing every version. This stems from the "release early, release often" philosophy. The more often you release, the heavier it gets to test on a plethora of different platforms.

• @sophos02
    OK, got it. :laughing:
    Good reason.

• @dLeon OK, that answered my questions, thanks for the info! My laptop's a 64-bit machine & I'll probably be replacing this desktop by the time 32-bit support ends. Regards!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.