Wouldn't it be easier to have separate site for feedback ?

• I'm just wondering...this forum looks really nice and I like the upvote system and all but wouldn't it be easier and more manageable to have separate site like Uservoice or something similar to keep track of feature requests and bugs ?

I think that would help most common bugs and most wanted features to float to the top easier.

Upvote system on the forum is good way to compensate for not having separate feedback system but just partially in my opinion because from what I've seen requests on the first few pages of the topic get much more upvotes compared to the later ones (when the topic cools down) even if the feature request is good/important and also it's kinda hard to know if the feature request that you wanted to propose is already posted (it is surely possible to use search option to find out or to read all the requests but I don't find that convenient)

This is just my personal opinion. I don't think that this system is bad, I'm just wondering if separate feedback system would make developers lives easier ?

In any case I think that Vivaldi community is great and helpful and I hope it stays like that :)

@LongLife said in Wouldn't it be easier to have separate site for feedback ?:

(...) requests on the first few pages of the topic get much more upvotes compared to the later ones (...)

And on those "feedback sites", the ideas that already have more votes often tend to get more votes than other ideas because they're displayed on the top. People usually read them first, vote for them and then stop reading at some point, meaning that ideas added later might not have a chance of getting to the point where they'd receive as much attention as the top-voted ones... 😛

I'm not opposing your idea, I'm merely just pointing out that there's no perfect solution here, I believe... 😉

• @pafflick

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that too. I haven't actually seen much of those feedback sites but when I did it was like you said...top ideas get tons of upvotes whilst the new ones get neglected but that surely can be improved. I think that system like Reddit could be really great for feedbacks. Uservoice is kinda aiming at that kind of system, they have Top,Hot and New ideas sorting but Hot is actually more like recent Top than Hot, It doesn't work quite right I think because the ideas there are pretty old and it doesn't update that often which again leads to having a lots of upvotes on those ideas that already have a bunch of votes. Hot is actually default sorting on Uservoice but as I said it doesn't work like Hot, it needs to get refreshed more often.
    Reddit like Hot system would work better I think and if there was some kind of limit for votes so if Idea gets for example 5k upvotes voting on that idea gets disabled or maybe if it's older than 2 months for example voting gets disabled and those ideas with bunch of votes would go to separate category and in that way top and hot could be fresh.

Theoretically that sounds like it would work to me but who know how would it turn out in practice.

• Maybe we need a separate site for feedback on the best way to provide feedback? :thinking:

• @Pesala said in Wouldn't it be easier to have separate site for feedback ?:

Maybe we need a separate site for feedback on the best way to provide feedback? :thinking:

Hahaha, maybe we do :smile:

There is nothing wrong with the current system, they've used it and made great browser so far :)

I was just observing the alternatives that maybe could make everyones lives easier.

• There was quite a lot of inconclusive discussion in the Feature Requests for 1.6 thread.

None of the suggestions are significantly better than what we have, which works, and required no great effort to implement - just a sticky thread and a new forum.

• Vivaldi Translator

Creating a site is the easier part. We don't even need to. Just use this forum.
    What we need is a better Idea/Request post mechanism so people can vote them.
    Thread like "Feature Request x.x" quiet a mess. I got tired after 5> pages.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.