Tab preview not updating

• Hey, hope this is the right place to bring this up. A minor bug, but I noticed that when I look at the tab preview for a YouTube tab, the preview always shows a shot for the first video I looked at.

• Hi, I can verify it on Linux too at latest 1.7 snapshot.

Cheers, mib

• The preview is generated when the tab is opened and rendered the first time, then it's never updated. It's not a realtime update, would be really resource consuming and totally useless for me, infact I don't even leave them enabled.

@iAN-CooG - It will update if you update the page once or twice while you are in the tab.

• It's been like this since day 1 in Vivaldi, and renders tab preview utterly pointless in my opinion.

(The only time I would look around the tab previews is if I wanted to see something referred to in the current page and I know I already opened it somewhere. I normally read through a page in one go and then close it, so I never have to "look for" a page which I already opened...)

@mossman: depends on what you think the purpose of tab thumbs is. They are, after all, called thumbnails, not previews. In my mind, it has never been to show you what's on the page now. If I want to know what's on a tab now, I'll open it. And how will I open it? I'll head to where I remember it being, and either read the label or hover to see the thumbnail or both. Because the thumbnail doesn't tell me what's on the tab at this moment. It merely reminds me which tab it IS. And it reminds me, because the thumbnail is something I've already seen on that tab - not something utterly new that reloaded in the background after the last time I visited. So that's how I use tab thumbs - a preview to peek and see if I want to open it, but as a visual aid to identifying the tab.

Not always updating thumbnails saves CPU usage and is speeding up the browser.

• @Gwen-Dragon ... so I've switched them off since that makes them literally useless to me. Even less CPU usage! ;)

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Tab preview not updating:

My tabs update fine even if I have several tabs in use. Using v1.7.725.3

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Tab preview not updating:

Actually - my complaint was that it NEVER created a thumbnail until the page had been viewed... I don't know when it changed, but when I tested just now with a couple of links opening in background they ARE getting thumbnails generated.

So maybe I will start using this feature again now! :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.