My Settings Tweaks to Speed Up Vivaldi

• I'm posting this in the Windows forum because I've only tested this on my Windows installation so far (I have Ubuntu-MATE on a desktop, but have not changed browser to Vivaldi on it yet). I'll be focusing on a vanilla Vivaldi install (sans imported data such as bookmarks and site preferences), so there might be plugins that speed up or slow down page loading and browsing and whatnot.

List by settings category:

Startup

"Start on homepage" instead of "Start on start page". My homepage is set to Google, not sure if that changes performance or not, but in case it does there you go.

Appearance

"Use native window" unchecked. Unchecking "Use animation" might help too, but I haven't tested that.

Tabs

Disable "Popup thumbnails" and "Tab thumbnails".

Address Bar

Disable "fast forward and rewind" and "page loading progress bar".

Search

"Show search field in address bar" is disabled and search engine is set to Google. Again, I'm not sure if these setting lead to a speed-up, but worth mentioning in case they do.

Webpages

Disable "smooth scrolling".

That's it so far. It's led to a noticeable speed increase in my installation, here's hoping it works for you all as well! ;)

The next test will be on uBlock Origin's effect on browser speed (hopefully) tomorrow. If you use the above settings and get a speed increase. Tell me what extensions you use and if disabling/enabling them make things even faster! I'm especially interested in No-Script (if it's available for Vivaldi).

Thanks. Nice information for normal users.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in My Settings Tweaks to Speed Up Vivaldi:

Thanks. Nice information for normal users.

You're welcome! :)

The uBlock Origin test shows no slowdown and might even have sped up my browsing even more. Another plugin, one that hides the "trending" box on Twitter, will be tested later as well. Stay tuned everyone! :)

@Rusakov You can check the internal Task Manager (Menu > Tools > Task Manager or [SHIFT]+[ESC] by default) to check how much resources is each extension eating up...

• Vivaldi Translator

@Rusakov
    Same settings I used :grin:
    I'm in Linux/Debian sid amd64 so I can confirm your review are good & working.

Sum it up;

• Anything that look like eye candy are resource hog. Popup thumbnails, animation or smooth scrolling.
    • Native Window would be faster as Vivaldi won't need to replace Window Manager GUI & try to draw its own.
    • If you do use Vivaldi start page, just don't use background images and or too many thumbnail links (speed dial). Images won't kill your cat, but it does use system resources.
    • Page loading progress bars on/off and Search field only effect aesthetic feel.
    • [Fix me] The only one here that seem really use memory resources is "Fast forward and rewind". Logically, because it kept a few page back and working "to allows you to jump to the next page of a site that contains several pages on or scroll down a page".

• Thanks all! @dLeon it's good to know that information. Will be testing the hide trending box extension soon with @pafflick 's suggestion. Stay tuned! ;)

• The "Hide Twitter Guff" extension does not slow down browsing! So "uBlock Origin" and "Hide Twitter Guff" are all good.

If anyone tests with other extensions then let me know!

• Though there is still massive slowdown on other websites as well. One of which being a wiki I work with and (funnily enough) the login page of the Vivaldi Forums. So this isn't a panacea by any stretch of the imagination, but it's something people can do with their current stable versions for faster browsing.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Rusakov
    I see you still on this. :grin:
    If you want, you could try a Chromium parameter --process-per-site.
    Infos:

• http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/08/save-memory-in-chrome-by-using-one-process-per-site/
    • https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/process-models

Been trying this for a few days. While I could "feel" the result. I couldn't academically proof it's right. Some points I got:

• Tabs or Windows switching less sluggish.
    • Drag & drop less sluggish.
    • Mouse scroll when page still trying to parse is working.
    • Vivaldi resources usage looks more tame in task manager.

From points above;
    Usually when a lot of tabs open and at least one tab page still trying to parse something the result is the opposite.

Okay, basically I need seconds opinions about this parameter effect.

• Testing all of them - I'll tell you how the process per site goes. Other things that could help:

--disk-cache-dir=Z:\Vivaldi\ --disk-cache-size=1073741824
    Append this on the Vivaldi shortcut: basically is a 1gb ramdisk if one has RAM to play with.

The great suspender extension.
    Useful if you load a lot of tabs. Basically after X time, it suspends all opened tabs and the reload it's fast, expecially if used combined with cache.

GifJam extension and Disable HTML5 autoplay
    These prevent the autoplay of such medias, and browsing is faster.

• #4 (Testing)
    At vivaldi://net-internals/#capture page, uncheck the first option.
    (Self explained. Discard old captured data to save RAM. Obviously you get less info)

I confirm the improvements with process per site switch. Less lags with a lot of tabs. Yay.

• I can confirm too that the use of the --process-per-site switch works great, less lag in general while browsing.

• @Hadden89 said in My Settings Tweaks to Speed Up Vivaldi:

The great suspender extension.
    Useful if you load a lot of tabs. Basically after X time, it suspends all opened tabs and the reload it's fast, expecially if used combined with cache.

I'm trying another extension for suspension, Tab hibernation, which suspend all tabs expect the active one on demand and not after "x" times: it should be faster, as this uses chromium native hibernation, as also The tab discarder do - last one is a fork of the great suspender.
    Tab hibernation is probably better if you use too small ranges of time for suspending (<2 minutes) which can "stress" and slow the browser (as you can't use use blacklist instead whitelist, so it tend to suspend often).

Some extensions which usually uses more than 100mb ram.

• HTTPS everywhere: 150mb~
    • KB SSL enforcer: similiar to HTTPS, can take more than 250mb~
    • Flash video downloader (aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc): at the old times the ext took ~150mb, now is almost 350mb~ on my pc. Trying some alternatives like Video downloader get them all.

• @Hadden89 said in My Settings Tweaks to Speed Up Vivaldi:

• Flash video downloader (aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc): at the old times the ext took ~150mb, now is almost 350mb~ on my pc. Trying some alternatives like Video downloader get them all.

Tried to disable the extension and then renabled it (the others I tried, well, they sucks xD). However, the usage is again on ~150mb (normal for this extension).

• One way of not being slow to open a new tab and not use a big image in Speed Dial, that makes a lot of difference! My Speed Dial images are no more than 75KB. :relaxed:

• @Rusakov said in My Settings Tweaks to Speed Up Vivaldi:

Unchecking "Use animation" might help too, but I haven't tested that.

(Since 1.9) Disabling animations could lead problems in reordering extensions;
    Probably, as the browser is more mature now, I don't feel big differences using --process-per-site flag but maybe, on some rigs, this still could helpful.

• Nice information for normal users.

We are using Vivaldi, aren't we all "power users"?

:laughing:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.