Chrome Apps suddenly open a new browser window

• Hey!

I've been using Vivaldi as my main browser for a week now and it works great. But (there's always a) suddenly when I open my Signal app launcher, it just opens a new instance of the browser. I've tried restarting and re-creating the launcher but it didn't help. I installed a couple more apps just as a test, they all open a new browser window.

Opening them from vivaldi://apps works normally, but if I pin that to my dock it still just launches a new Vivaldi window.

Launchers that are being created only contain /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi as their launch command. Can I somehow manually add what's missing? Thanks!

• Vivaldi Translator

@fourk
    You mean launcher from desktop or such? Which last Vivaldi version it work?

Just my 2 cents. (I never use launcher). But maybe related to this;
    Retiring the Chrome app launcher
    For summary, upstream Chromium remove ability to use external launcher.

Sample desktop file from my test app launcher:

[Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Name=Signal Private Messenger
    Exec=/opt/vivaldi/vivaldi # <-- This will run. Hence, new Vivaldi window.
    Icon=vivaldi-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default
    StartupWMClass=crx_bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk # <-- This key definition was not recognized anymore.

• Vivaldi Translator

Found a work around for you

See here;
    Warning; this pointing to StackEchange superuser site.
    How to run Chrome apps via command line?
    From fast test, while your app run, it seem still open new window unfortunately.
    But anyway, you can set/edit your launcher to use the work around if you want.

• @dLeon said in Chrome Apps suddenly open a new browser window:

@fourk
    You mean launcher from desktop or such? Which last Vivaldi version it work?

It was 1.6 while it worked and stayed 1.6 after. I didn't update in the meantime. I'll give your suggestion a go, combined with what @dLeon posted. Thanks!

• So, when this started happening I reverted back to Firefox temporarily and reinstalled Signal into Chromium because it works great there. When I re-ran Vivaldi to install Signal again, I realized that it actually uses Chromium's launcher. And that's why it worked. When I decided I'm staying on Vivaldi, I removed Signal from Chromium and Vivaldi's launcher was defective so it stopped working. All this time I was using Chromium's launchers.

• Vivaldi Translator

All this time I was using Chromium's launchers.

Wait... What?... lol. :laughing:

• @dLeon

So if I understood this correctly:

While I have Signal on Chromium installed, when I run Signal in Vivaldi through Vivaldi://apps and pin it to my launcher, it works. When I remove Signal from Chromium and create a Vivaldi shortcut to Signal, it stops working and only opens a new browser window. It somehow uses Chromium's launcher. I'll have to remove everything and start from the beginning to see where it goes wrong.

@fourk said in Chrome Apps suddenly open a new browser window:

and create a Vivaldi shortcut to Signal, it stops working

And how did you create the shortcut, with which parameters?

• Vivaldi Translator

@Gwen-Dragon
    This's confusing.
    How come, in first place, the app register on Chromium profile could be recognized on Vivaldi (with no Signal app?). While the launcher created was Exec=/opt/vivaldi/vivaldi

Use a launcher with parameter --disable-vivaldi

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.