Is incremental update on Linux possible?

• Vivaldi Translator

Current Vivaldi (both stable & snapshot) archives (deb/rpm) size is around 50mb.
    It would be helpful & bandwidth friendly for both side if Vivaldi also support incremental update on Linux.

The updates sometime seem only a few megabytes for Vivaldi stable or even 1mb for Vivaldi snapshot. It's not funny to keep dragging ~50mb every time. I don't know if Vivaldi server will continuously happy if Vivaldi user start counting as zillions. Mind you, even Vivaldi forum start to give me 503 warning.

But, that's mean Vivaldi need to provide tar archive like Firefox. Yes I know, you can extract deb/rpm to user home directory. I just update my Firefox Nightly, and it only download ~2mb.
    I notice tar archive seem being refused in Vivaldi blog a year ago. Alternative install options for Vivaldi on Linux

In turn with incremental update, it could solve problem like Downloading Vivaldi updates from repository is way too slow for 45.2MB

Thank you.

• Does this means it is not possible to import settings (extensions & bookmarks) from an older version of Vivaldi (1.6.689.46) in Vivaldi snapshot (1.7.725.3 )?

Greetings, Dirk Jan (LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon)

• @dirkjanl said in Is incremental update on Linux possible?:

Does this means it is not possible to import settings (extensions & bookmarks) from an older version of Vivaldi (1.6.689.46) in Vivaldi snapshot (1.7.725.3 )?

Greetings, Dirk Jan (LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon)

The thread is a request for delta (incremental) updates on Linux. No such changes have been made on 1.7.725.3

• Vivaldi Translator

@hasina
    Snap or Flatpak is still full update I'm afraid. I'm thinking about delta or diff updates.
    The most downside of Snap or Flatpak is their library not native (only optional) to any Linux distro, except Snap which is Ubuntu.

• I think it's too early for users to go the snap route unless they're willing to be testers for snap packages.

As pointed out, snaps should eventually provide delta updates. The other drawback (when I tested the LibreOffice snap as soon as it came out), was that the snap version didn't allow the user choice of gtk themes: Adwaita was the fixed theme. Even the mouse cursor theme couldn't be changed.

• Vivaldi Translator

@aesouza
    Yeah. Figure that much.

There's other type of distribution, AppImage. Unfortunately less advertised.
    It more closer to Mac style app than Windows exe/msi I think. Same problem with GTK+.

For GTK+, their devs said it will be fix on GTK 4. My comment, well duuuh.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.