Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab

• I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally closed tabs like this.

I ticked the option in settings to remove tab spacing in maximized windows, since I feel like it looks better like that.
    However every time I scroll up with middle click now, I end up hovering over one of my opened tabs and closing them unintentionally.

• +1
    This is very annoying =\

• I am also having issues with this behaviour. In my case, I often go down my row of tabs, middle clicking as I go to close them. Sometimes this means that I middle click a tab and by the time I release the mouse button I'm onto the next tab. That is the tab that gets closed, instead of the one I clicked on which is rather frustrating.

• @ziadamu said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

I end up hovering over one of my opened tabs and closing them unintentionally.

I cannot figure out why the tabs are closing just on hovering them. Surely, you need to click the MMB to close them? If so, why do you need to click while fast scrolling with MMB + Click?

Perhaps it would help to avoid errors if you enabled Tab Popup Thumbnails?

• @Pesala It closes the tab because I'm holding MMB still, and usually end up letting the button go while my mouse is hovering over one of my tabs, which closes them

• @ziadamu said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

It closes the tab because I'm holding MMB still

That I can reproduce. Not something I ever do as my MMB is stiff and difficult to keep held down. Fast scrolling ought to switch off on using the cursor keys, but it does not currently. It can be disabled with LBM or RBM or MMB so there's not really any good reason to not release the MMB while scrolling.

• Turn off tab scrolling or buy a basic gaming mouse where the scroll wheel has slight resistance and not so sensitive.

• @CantankRus said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

Turn off tab scrolling

This thread has nothing to do with tab scrolling. It is about fast auto-scrolling the web-page. You do not need to click the MMB to switch tabs by scrolling.

Ziadamu is reporting a problem, because of holding down the MMB while scrolling the page for fast scrolling. I don't have that problem as I always release the MMB if I occasionally want to use fast scroll (it is good for viewing large images, but not so good for reading text).

If I want to switch tabs, I use Ctrl Tab, or I can move the mouse to the tab bar and scroll. What I cannot do easily, is hold down the RBM and scroll to switch tabs.

• You scrolling? Or You clicking? Two different things.
    Also you cannot scroll while You hold MMB (but can click MMB while scrolling but this depend on mouse).
    While scrolling or hovering there's no way a tab can close. If you clicking while you scrolling it's only mouse/yours fault. Change mouse :)
    I use MMB since firefox3 for opening and closing tabs, and this never happen to me.

In Vivaldi I use vertical layout for tabs (on the right like neon) and I would like to see implemented that I close tab clicking on title bar of this tab, but not on page thumbnail displayed below.

In vertical layout You do not need to hover any tab to scroll them, in horizontal unfortunately You need to hover any of the tabs, or use "alt" key.

• @Pesala said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

It can be disabled with LBM or RBM or MMB so there's not really any good reason to not release the MMB while scrolling.

If you hold MMB while fast scrolling, it'll stop fast scrolling when you let go and just move the mouse, no need to click anything, which seems more convenient to me than having to click any mouse button to make it stop.

@BriHecato said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

You scrolling? Or You clicking? Two different things.
    Also you cannot scroll while You hold MMB (but can click MMB while scrolling but this depend on mouse).
    While scrolling or hovering there's no way a tab can close. If you clicking while you scrolling it's only mouse/yours fault. Change mouse :)

I suppose the thread title isn't the most accurate description of the problem I'm having. I'm holding MMB and moving my mouse, which scrolls the webpage, I'm not manually scrolling myself.

By doing this, it is possible to close tabs by accident, since for some reason Vivaldi registers letting go of MMB as the trigger to close the tab, instead of either pressing MMB, or pressing and letting go of it.

• @ziadamu

I'm holding MMB and moving my mouse, which scrolls the webpage, I'm not manually scrolling myself.

I think you mean "Panning"?

Edit:
    I believe you're problem could be solve if Vivaldi eventually allow to tweak mouse shortcuts.

• @dLeon you got it, I should've used that word, thanks :D

• @Pesala said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

@CantankRus said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

Turn off tab scrolling

This thread has nothing to do with tab scrolling. It is about fast auto-scrolling the web-page. You do not need to click the MMB to switch tabs by scrolling.

Ziadamu is reporting a problem, because of holding down the MMB while scrolling the page for fast scrolling. I don't have that problem as I always release the MMB if I occasionally want to use fast scroll (it is good for viewing large images, but not so good for reading text).

If I want to switch tabs, I use Ctrl Tab, or I can move the mouse to the tab bar and scroll. What I cannot do easily, is hold down the RBM and scroll to switch tabs.

Ah ok, autoscroll is not something I use and didn't realize you could also hold down the mmb instead of just clicking and releasing to initiate.
    So the problem is the mouse autoscroll release acts as a mmb click to close tabs.
    Looking at an autoscroll extension here, in the settings it can be initiated by click and release or holding down mmb.
    Is there really much difference/advantage in holding down mmb?

• @ziadamu Sorry - I think rolling the wheel is good for scrolling. Voted down - I need the click to have a function and closing tabs is natural.

• @ziadamu I'm using a nice E-blue - soft buttons, 2 extra side-clicks too.
    No problems with the middle click (nice n soft, works like a charm).

Something wrong if you're holding it down - it's a click, not a click n drag.

• @ben2talk I'm not asking for the MMB not to have a function, I close tabs by using MMB all the time.
    However it doesn't seem right that I can hold MMB down anywhere on the page, and release it over a tab and close it.

• @CantankRus said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

So the problem is the mouse autoscroll release acts as a mmb click to close tabs.

I think the problem is Vivaldi regards the MMB release as the trigger to close tabs, instead of the MMB press

@CantankRus said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

Is there really much difference/advantage in holding down mmb?

copy pasting my response to Pesala.

@ziadamu said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

@Pesala said in Hovering over tab while middle click scrolling closes tab:

It can be disabled with LBM or RBM or MMB so there's not really any good reason to not release the MMB while scrolling.

If you hold MMB while fast scrolling, it'll stop fast scrolling when you let go and just move the mouse, no need to click anything, which seems more convenient to me than having to click any mouse button to make it stop.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.