Disable VP9?

• Hi,

I have a quite underpowered HDMI stick (Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300) that doesn't have the horsepower to decode VP9. When I go to the HTML5 page on Youtube, it says Vivaldi is capable of doing h.264, but because it will also do VP9, that's what Youtube sends it. The stick will decode h264 in hardware, with no frame drops, but will drop frames when it attempts to decode h264.

Is there a way I can get Vivaldi to tell Youtube it doesn't support VP9 so it will send it something my media stick can cope with? Edge seems to have no problem doing this.

• @snakester I googled your problem and ran into a similar question on superuser.com I'll just quote the answer that there was given (not the best solution in my opinion but I guess beter than nothing):

h264ify is a Firefox/Chrome extension that makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos.

Try h264ify if YouTube videos stutter, take up too much CPU, eat battery life, or make your laptop hot.

By default, YouTube streams VP8/VP9 encoded video. However, this can cause problems with less powerful machines because VP8/VP9 is not typically hardware accelerated.

In contrast, H.264 is commonly hardware accelerated by GPUs, which usually means smoother video playback and reduced CPU usage.

This would be this Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/h264ify?hl=en-US

• @zaibon Awesome, that worked. Youtube performance is about on par with Edge now, maybe a frame drop here or there but not the slideshow it was. I didn't realize you could just slot Chrome extensions into Vivaldi like that. Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.