YouTube takes too much CPU

• When you play any YouTube videos using vivaldi (I am using the snapshot 1.7.703) the browser will take about 30-40% of CPU

• @Carlos-Garcia I wanted to add some more information by uploading snapshots of my computer's use of CPU but now videos are directly not playing :/

• Not taking and more than 2-4% here.

Is this with any video, or just some?

• @Pesala said in YouTube takes too much CPU:

Not taking and more than 2-4% here.

Is this with any video, or just some?

Do you have a GPU? Maybe machines with only CPU struggle.

• Hi, it takes about 20% on really old laptop:

Opensuse Leap 42.1 x86_64
    CPU Intel T4200 4 GB
    GPU Intel GN 965
    xf86-video-intel 2.99.917-6.1
    Vivaldi latest snapshot

Cheers, mib
    EDIT: Hardware acceleration enabled > vivaldi://chrome/settings/search#hardware

• @aesouza I have only on-board graphics. There is nothing special about my hardware.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 7 64-bit • Snapshot 1.7.704.3

• Hello Carlos-Garcia!

Vivaldi is a chromium-based browser so it will use quite a bit of CPU and memory. CPU usage and memory efficiency may become more manageable on older systems in the near future.

In the short term, my suggestion would be to consider upgrading specific components such as your CPU for overall processing speed, GPU for accelerated computing(graphics rendering, resource offloading, etc), and RAM for more memory. Another, more simple alternative would be to get a newer computer with better specifications.

Best regards,

Nabil Sharif

• Hi,

I've just submitted a bug report concerning CPU usage. Try switching off Settings -> Appearance -> Use Animation, which stops the animation of the speaker visible in the tab title. On my system, this saved around 20% CPU.

Cheers.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.