Top Sites - heavy disk activity bug solved?

• I'm referring to problem of vivaldi processes making constant writes to the profile dir especially to the Top Sites file which seems to be a Chromium bug. There were quite a few threads about this issue:
    forum.vivaldi.net/topic/11961/disk-write-99
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/7053/high-hard-disk-activity-by-vivaldi-1-0/28

But now it seems that the Top Sites file is alot smaller than it used to be after a few days/a week of usage - 50kB vs 40MB. Has anyone noticed it as well?

• @vbop It's interesting that you mention that. In the latest stable version (1.6.689.40), I've recently come to notice the Top Sites file is remaining largely stable in size and stays much smaller than it used to. I had gotten into the habit of simply deleting it periodically, using a batch file with Vivaldi turned off, and so I had quit monitoring its typical ever-growing size. When I started monitoring it again a few days ago out of curiosity, I was (and am) surprised at how its no longer growing like Topsy.

• Crossing fingers, seems so. I didn't notice any HD activities in the last 2 weeks and infact I forgot to overwrite top sites with my backup (about 3mb), now I checked it and it's only 5mb. After 2 weeks it would previously have become already 40mb. I'll keep an eye now and then.

Hm. I backed up my Top Sites file four days ago, and it hasn't grown one kb since that time...

• After checking out those other threads, Top Sites looks to be related to Speed Dial thumbnails. Is that it?

Here it seems to grow in direct relation to those. Just now, I had a folder in Speed Dial that had no thumbnails, so I updated each of them and saw the file go from about 10MB to 12.5MB.

Whether this is normal/expect I don't know, but at least outside that updating, the file doesn't appear to be written to abnormally.

For it to be 50KB though, I have to assume that either Speed Dial is empty or there are next to no thumbnails.

Top Sites does store the Speed Dial Thumbs. However, it appears it may have been doing a great deal more - like constantly updating and storing backups of them, storing tab thumbs, and what-all. I don't know what change was made recently, or whether it was made by Vivaldi or The Chromium developers.

• FWIW, over many previous weeks/months using Vivaldi, the Top Sites file on my system would gradually and steadily grow to 50-75 Mb after many hours of "ordinary usage". For me, that usage typically constitutes just one or two open tabs at a time and no Speed Dial usage, but many dozens of pages are viewed per day. The previous Top Sites file size increase also seemed to roughly correlate with a gradual increase in consumption of RAM as well, over the same time frame.

Since the Top Sites 'stabilization' noted in this thread has occurred, the file size under the above usage description now seems nearly 'fixed' at 1.12 Mb, day after day. The RAM consumption increase has slowed considerably as well, though it seems still to increase slightly over time (perhaps now this is just an 'OS thing', though). Clearly, something has changed - for the better.

• @Blackbird I'm curious, how many SD thumbnails would you say that you have? I have around 75, and my Top Sites file is 10x yours.

• @rseiler said in Top Sites - heavy disk activity bug solved?:

After checking out those other threads, Top Sites looks to be related to Speed Dial thumbnails. Is that it?
    For it to be 50KB though, I have to assume that either Speed Dial is empty or there are next to no thumbnails.

I usually don't change the speedial page so I've mostly left it as the default.

I think the Top Sites file in chromium/chrome keeps a running tally of your most visited URLs. Its sort of a big cookie file of where you've been browsing and theres a google api to access it. It's been causing disk performance issues for years.

When I checked Opera out a few weeks ago, the Top Sites file wasn't acting up as usual also.

• @rseiler said in Top Sites - heavy disk activity bug solved?:

@Blackbird I'm curious, how many SD thumbnails would you say that you have? I have around 75, and my Top Sites file is 10x yours.

When I activate Speed Dial, there are only two thumbnails: the default "+" one, and an all-black one that (if clicked) accesses four 'settings' sub-pages (extensions, vivaldi://flags, Vivaldi://plugins, and vivaldi://vivaldi-urls). Ordinarily, the Speed Dial is never in use or visible here, since I work almost exclusively from various bookmarks bars.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.