Cache handling

• My Vivaldi is 1.6.689.46 on Ubuntu 16.

When I editing a CSS file, localhost or live site, the changes is not applied. Both normal and incognito mode. I need to close Vivaldi and start again to see changes.

Check HTTP cache settings (Expires, ETag, Last-Modified) on your local webserver you use for testing.

In Vivaldis Developer Tools you can disable Caching in Network tab. Then you can check immediately the webpage if you have changed.

• Thank you Gwen-Dragon. I just wanted to tell this is a bug, because other browsers works well.

I cant reproduce it with your information. I tested it on my own local Apache web server.

Please describe how to reproduce this.
    May be we can check, if it is a bug and you can report it to Vivaldi.

• Okay. I start my Vivaldi in incognito mode for everyday usage.

If you make some files on localhost and start the browser to see what happen, everything would be fine. If you do changes in CSS then refresh the browser, the changes are applied.

Now transfer these files into the live site over the internet. Point that with your browser. Make some changes in CSS then upload it, and you will not see any changes.

Second try: use Vivaldi some hours to browsing different webpages. Then point to your localhost files what we use in the first example. Make small editing in the CSS file, like text color or line-height, then refresh the browser. No changes.
    If you upload your CSS into the live site, you will notice there is no change.

Now close Vivaldi, start it again, and you will see the changes.

This is my experience.

And sorry for my English, this is not my native language. I read a lot in this language but not speak and not write, so I not sure about my communication.

• And one more thing: some days ago I experienced a strange behavior.

I started to filling up a form and after submit I got an error message. I correct my misstype and submit again, but I get an error again. Everything was okay but I got error.

So I start Firefox. My Firefox always delete every data when I close, so when I start I beleve is "clean".
    So I start Firefox, copy the form URL and I very suprised, because all data what I typed in Vivaldi is there...

Is that normal?

@gatyesz3870 As i mentioned, your webserver at localhost (ip 127.0.0.1) may have other cache headers than your internet server!

@gatyesz3870 I can not reproduce this. because i dont know where i can test it like you did.

I dont know how Firefox caches form data. And i dont know how the webpage you visited caches it.

I am sorry, but it is not easy to understand what you do on such webservers.

Can you give me a testpage to check it?
    I tested it now on two different servers. The Vivaldi browser 1.6 works fine with caching.

May be you misunderstand what caching means.
    At first the browser send a request after the cache time expired and checks if the page has changed. If the cache period is not expired nothing is refreshed.
    That is the standard behavior since WWW exists.
    if you want to see a change earlier than the cache period, you have to hit Ctrl F5.

• Yes, you are right: may be I misunderstood what caching means. This is true.
    I just wanted to tell you, not exatly you but for Vivaldi developers, what is my experince. To help makeing a better browser. Thats all what I can do.
    And as I wrote before: Firefox working well.

I can understand what you want to communicate to the developers. That Firefox behaves not the same as Vivaldi in caching files.

Please if you want to and if you have time: Test the issue with Chromium 55. I like to know if they act different than Vivaldi 1.6

@gatyesz3870 said in Cache handling:

Yes, you are right: may be I misunderstood what caching means. This is true.
    I just wanted to tell you, not exatly you but for Vivaldi developers, what is my experince. To help makeing a better browser. Thats all what I can do.

Please report this as a bug. I hope the developers can reproduce it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi:
    Please describe as precise as you can, give them a testcase (URL or local HTML/CSS files) and report the bug at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/.
    You will get a bug confirmation mail and in a reply to this mail you can add more information for the testers and bug tracking team.
    Thanks in advance.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.