Why I have uninstalled Vivaldi numerous times!!

1. Lacking the function of sorting bookmarks
    2. Lacking the function of sorting bookmarks
    3. Lacking the function of sorting bookmarks
    4. Lacking the function of sorting bookmarks
    5. Lacking the function of sorting bookmarks

I cannot spend my online hours manually searching for a bookmark!
    I really don't want to search via the keyboard every time I want to find a bookmark.

It's a shame this haven't been fixed during these years.
    Are the developers at all in sync with their potensial users?

Please reply and support this post to show the Vivaldi team what they must focus on now!

rgs
    Tresfjording

• @Tresfjording
    I have numerous options to sort bookmarks.
    0_1482847583060_131.jpg

• Actually, sorting in the Bookmark Bar now defaults to alpha ascending, which is fine.

Tresfjording - What are you trying to sort? Individual bookmarks or folders? Where? In the Bookmarks Bar or in the Panel?

• @katra
    Everyone has different needs and wants.
    What you deem essential, others may not.
    I don't use the bookmarks bar because it takes up vertical space and find it much more efficient to type in the address bar or open the bookmarks panel.

• @CantankRus
    Type? So you have to move from the keyboard to the mouse and back while surfing? That sounds incredibly inefficient. I want to click and scroll at 100mph until I find what I'm looking for, then toss the bookmark into a folder, or perhaps in a subfolder, right there in front of me on the Bar, where I can quickly navigate and click later. I'll type when I'm dead.

• I have two hands.

@Tresfjording said in Why I have uninstalled Vivaldi numerous times!!:

Please reply and support this post to show the Vivaldi team what they must focus on now!

But anyway I don't understand the mindset of people that demand development be focused on their use case.
    Most likely what you want will come but maybe not with the priority you require.
    Best thing to do is put in a Feature Request so those of like mind can upvote.

• There's only a definition that works in these cases: spoiled brats.

• @katra Typing / using keyboard shortcuts is almost always faster. I try to use the mouse as little as possible while "surfing."

• @katra said in Why I have uninstalled Vivaldi numerous times!!:

Actually, sorting in the Bookmark Bar now defaults to alpha ascending, which is fine.

Not here. It hews to the order seen in vivaldi://bookmarks, which is no order at all. Or, more accurately, whatever order you've manually arranged them in there. And who is going to manually order a folder of bookmarks that might have 100 items in each one? No one. At best, they'll manually arrange the top level items/folders.

Unlike the panel, which has a sorting feature.

I think the OP is clearly referring to the browser's advertised place for bookmarks, which is Tools/Bookmarks (Ctrl-B)(or vivaldi://bookmarks). I would have thought that it would have had sorting before the panel's version did.

• Recursive Bookmark Sorter https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recursive-bookmark-sorter/oalceifbkhhehhinpifagdnickeeehlk?hl=en-US

Works well. Yes it's not as virtuous as if this was fully natively in V, but it's a good workaround til V eventually gets it natively.

• @rseiler said in Why I have uninstalled Vivaldi numerous times!!:

@katra said in Why I have uninstalled Vivaldi numerous times!!:

Actually, sorting in the Bookmark Bar now defaults to alpha ascending, which is fine.

Not here. It hews to the order seen in vivaldi://bookmarks, which is no order at all. Or, more accurately, whatever order you've manually arranged them in there. And who is going to manually order a folder of bookmarks that might have 100 items in each one? No one. At best, they'll manually arrange the top level items/folders.

Unlike the panel, which has a sorting feature.

I think the OP is clearly referring to the browser's advertised place for bookmarks, which is Tools/Bookmarks (Ctrl-B)(or vivaldi://bookmarks). I would have thought that it would have had sorting before the panel's version did.

Although not obvious, vivaldi://bookmarks has three title sorting options by left clicking on the "Title" column heading.
    Alphabetically ascending, alphabetically descending and when no arrow is shown bookmarks can be sorted manually.
    Peek 2016-12-28 16-48.gif

• @CantankRus Wow, talk about hiding in plain sight. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to click that.

It works and remembers for the next time, too. The only oddity is that it doesn't group subfolders at the top (it treats them like bookmarks), but that's not a huge deal for now.

• @rseiler OK, there is another oddity: let's say that you don't want the bookmark bar icons alphabetical. That's fine, you can drag them into the positions that you want.

But when you do, you lose alphabetical sorting for every other bookmark, too. And I bet if you then clicked the "Title" column header, your carefully-arranged bookmark bar icons would sort along with all other bookmarks.

In old Opera, it was possible to have the best of both worlds. Your bookmark menus could be alphabetical while your bookmark bar was not.

@rseiler - I already have them manually placed on the bookmarks bar and in Speed Dial, but alphabetical everywhere else.

• @Ayespy OK, I wouldn't have tried it unless you'd said that, but clicking "Title" after manually sorting the bookmarks bar only re-sorts the bookmarks bar on that page, not actually on the bookmarks bar itself (same for Speed Dial). And it does sort everything else, as you said.

So, that's good. I never would have imagined that bookmarks were this tricky.

• @CantankRus Wow, talk about hiding in plain sight. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to click that.

Probably because they don't have a dropdown arrow beside the Title title. If they did, most people would think of clicking that. I too didn't think to click it until I read about it just now.

• @CantankRus Ahh ... terrific! That's was a good hideout. An arrow to indicate a submenu would be nice.

Vivaldi is now set to default web browser.
    Thanks!

rgs
    Tresfjording

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.