Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.

• Apologies if this is out of place. The forum renders in a rather difficult way to follow for me here. I see a lot of discussion about videos not playing but without going back through years of posts my issue is rather than playback is simply terrible and can be reproduced by a specific action.

In short Tab Tearing sucks in Vivaldi, it's clunky and finicky but if I tear a tab with video it begins to stutter horribly and will not play correctly again until I restart the browser. I've tried re-adding the torn tab to the original window and it does not help.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 4.15.0-50-generic Kernel
    Ryzen 7 2700x
    64Gb DDR 4
    GTX 1060 6Gb nVidia 430.14 Driver (Propri) installed
    Vivaldi 2.5.1525.43 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 3524ed3c8fde17898d2f46f303b35e6309d2698d

• @nPHYN1T3 said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

Apologies if this is out of place. The forum renders in a rather difficult way to follow for me here.

You can start your own topic would be the best choice.

• @lamarca Sadly I did start my own thread 2 years ago which never got a single peep. Sadly years later the issues still persist, both the terrible tab tearing and the video stutter. One thing I wanted to add to my post and I suppose I should test is the tearing issue across monitors. I was thinking about maybe the issue is Vivaldi using hardware acceleration perhaps locks it to the originating monitor like a game can/does. When I tab tear to another monitor it then struggles to run in software or with a different vsync etc. Either way I just tried and can't get it to do it either way which makes me wonder if it's an issue that only crops up after the browser has been open/idle for some time.

• @nPHYN1T3 Every problem is linked to a solution. I support you to start a new topic.

Best

Edited: grammar

• I noticed that video playback (like Youtube) is using much more CPU.
    At first I thought, may be that those last KDE Neon updates made the system heavier, or all those Intel microcode updates made this old hardware (is an old notebook) slower. But then I tested in Falkon and the CPU usage is much, much lower, where it used to be (40-50%).

I use h264ify to force AVC and block 60fps on Vivaldi, but on Falkon even using VP9 the performance is much better.
    So, the problem is with Vivaldi? What happened, that made the CPU usage increase (70-80%) so much even when viewing SD video?

EDIT: I love you guys! After I posted here I checked for updates and looks like today's snapshot "solved" the problem?!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.