Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.

• @ubix, the libffmpeg.so in vivaldi/lib does not work for me if I link or copy it to .local.
    If I use this lib I get no h.264 support.
    Never get a cracked system since SuSE 5.0 so I am fine how it work now.

Thanks, mib

• @ubix Afaik, h.264 support was in Packman's libffmpeg BEFORE but was removed maybe a year, year and a half ago. That's when Ruario script for fetching working libffmpeg from Ubuntu's repo became necessary.

I doubt that Packman introduced this support back in and this explains to me why Vivaldi installed from Packman repo doesn't play h.264 even if there is libffmpeg.so in /usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/ directory. Opera from openSUSE Non-Oss repo also has libffmpeg in /usr/lib64/opera/ that doesn't play h.264.

To make Vivaldi from Packman repo play h.264 video I copied libffmpeg.so created by Ruario's script from ubuntu repo in ~/.local/lib/vivaldi/libffmpeg.so into /usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/

So, in my experience, Vivaldi from Vivaldi's own repo picks libffmpeg up where Ruario's script places it - in /home/username/.local/lib/vivaldi/ but Vivaldi from Packman needs Ruario's libffmpeg.so to be manually put into /usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/. Manually putting files into /usr is not ideal, of course, but it works if one wants to have Vivaldi from Packman and maybe drop Vivaldi's own repo altogether.

• @mib2berlin said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

@ubix, the libffmpeg.so in vivaldi/lib does not work for me if I link or copy it to .local.
    If I use this lib I get no h.264 support.

Hmmm... that's confusing me, normally for the kernel there is no deviation if the file is a real file, soft- or hardlink

Never get a cracked system since SuSE 5.0 so I am fine how it work now.

How you will detect this? Have you done forensic analysis to verify this?

@stang said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

@ubix Afaik, h.264 support was in Packman's libffmpeg BEFORE but was removed maybe a year, year and a half ago. That's when Ruario script for fetching working libffmpeg from Ubuntu's repo became necessary.

Hmmm.. that was deviating to my information.
    As answer of my problem report I received from Packman team following Answer:

[Solved] Add ffmpeg codecs for browsers based on Chromium.
    zypper in chromium-ffmpeg-extra

Now I tested this, and it was true. Only with installed chromium-ffmpeg-extra the decoding from h.264 works fine - see my test result with installed package:
    html5te.st/18bdf338e34b2d0d

I doubt that Packman introduced this support back in and this explains to me why Vivaldi installed from Packman repo doesn't play h.264 even if there is libffmpeg.so in /usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/ directory. Opera from openSUSE Non-Oss repo also has libffmpeg in /usr/lib64/opera/ that doesn't play h.264.

To make Vivaldi from Packman repo play h.264 video I copied libffmpeg.so created by Ruario's script from ubuntu repo in ~/.local/lib/vivaldi/libffmpeg.so into /usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/

This is not needed if chromium-ffmpeg-extra was installed 🙂
    On openSUSE and Packman repository was activated - an easy
    zypper in chromium-ffmpeg-extra
    fix the problem.

PS1: I tested this behavior on different PCs and the remark from Packman team was true.

PS2: chromium-ffmpeg-extra have no dependency to chromium and can be installed separately.

• @ubix The sorcery with chromium-ffmpeg-extra started early in this thread, for me from this post on page 2: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/12973/video-playback-problems-troubleshooting-and-solutions-on-linux/31. There were comments like "openSuSE Packman removed the package because it is not needed for chromium anymore" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra or any package that build with proprietary features built by 3rd party volunteer. This package considered as non-free. Not distribute able without inviting extra "smell", read: non-free license. Distro like OpenSUSE or Debian will kick this kind of package on sight."

Now I see that it's back in Packman but not installed on my system, nor was it pulled in as a dependency when I installed Packman's Vivaldi. Since everything seems to be working for me now I don't want to experiment with it any further, but its return is noted, thank you.

@ubix said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

Only with installed chromium-ffmpeg-extra the decoding from h.264 works

Yes, the package chromium-ffmpeg-extra solved such problems on some distros in the past. But it was not always up-to-date, but often worked as desired.

• @gwen-dragon said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

@ubix said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

Only with installed chromium-ffmpeg-extra the decoding from h.264 works

Yes, the package chromium-ffmpeg-extra solved such problems on some distros in the past. But it was not always up-to-date, but often worked as desired.

Let me give you all information I have

rpm -qil chromium-ffmpeg-extra
    Name : chromium-ffmpeg-extra
    Version : 59.0.3071.104
    Release : 1.7
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Do 28 Sep 2017 19:09:43 CEST
    Group : Productivity/Networking/Web/Browsers
    Size : 2618120
    License : BSD-3-Clause and LGPL-2.1+
    Signature : RSA/SHA1, Mi 27 Sep 2017 18:26:00 CEST, Key ID 45a1d0671abd1afb
    Source RPM : chromium-ffmpeg-extra-59.0.3071.104-1.7.src.rpm
    Build Date : Fr 23 Jun 2017 14:00:00 CEST
    Build Host : localhost
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager : packman@links2linux.de
    Vendor : http://packman.links2linux.de
    URL : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/
    Summary : Extra ffmpeg codecs for browsers based on Chromium
    Description :
    This package contains proprietary codecs needed for the HTML5
    (audio and video tags).
    Distribution: Extra / openSUSE_Tumbleweed
    /usr/lib64/chromium-ffmpeg-extra
    /usr/lib64/chromium-ffmpeg-extra/libffmpeg.so
    /usr/share/doc/packages/chromium-ffmpeg-extra
    /usr/share/doc/packages/chromium-ffmpeg-extra/AUTHORS
    /usr/share/doc/packages/chromium-ffmpeg-extra/LICENSE

@stang said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

@ubix The sorcery with chromium-ffmpeg-extra started early in this thread, for me from this post on page 2: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/12973/video-playback-problems-troubleshooting-and-solutions-on-linux/31. There were comments like "openSuSE Packman removed the package because it is not needed for chromium anymore" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra or any package that build with proprietary features built by 3rd party volunteer. This package considered as non-free. Not distribute able without inviting extra "smell", read: non-free license. Distro like OpenSUSE or Debian will kick this kind of package on sight."

Yes, I know. The comments from Packman team was all in the direction of automated build error. This was fixed after some days - since them it runs fine on my PC (more than 6 Month like my notes).

Now I see that it's back in Packman but not installed on my system, nor was it pulled in as a dependency when I installed Packman's Vivaldi. Since everything seems to be working for me now I don't want to experiment with it any further, but its return is noted, thank you.

Welcome

• I've looking why watching video on youtube was so CPU struggling on my computer. And i found a weird things, there is a difference of hadware acceleration between Chromium and Vivaldi Snapshot

Chromium [61.0.3163.100 (Build de développement) built on Debian buster/sid, running on Debian buster/sid (64 bits)]'s result of chrome://gpu is :
    Graphics Feature Status
    Canvas: Hardware accelerated
    CheckerImaging: Disabled
    Flash: Hardware accelerated
    Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
    Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
    Compositing: Hardware accelerated
    Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
    Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
    Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
    Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
    Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
    WebGL: Hardware accelerated
    WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

And on Vivaldi [1.13.971.8 (Version officielle) snapshot (64 bits) based on chromium 61.0.3163.102]'s result of chrome://gpu is :
    Graphics Feature Status
    Canvas: Hardware accelerated
    CheckerImaging: Disabled
    Flash: Hardware accelerated
    Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
    Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
    Compositing: Hardware accelerated
    Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
    Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
    Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
    Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    Video Encode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    WebGL: Hardware accelerated
    WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

Off course it's on the same computer at the same time with system updated (debian testing)

Why ?

• @moimadmax
    Note: Just my knowledge so far.

This's mine.
    0_1508671150386_27026412-f17b-4104-a095-9bf1fcc51892.png
    See that "Problems Detected" 1st & 2nd lines?

So, I'm wondering, even if they're green, did they actually being used?

We could try to enabling chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist. But, judging the CPU still spiking, seem not used on me. Besides, I have no idea if forcing that flag could eventually make my box go supernova or else.

Google only do a real implementation of Video Accel in their ChromeOS as far as I know.

• @dleon said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist

It works. I now can watch a video without the fan noise. Thanks.

• I've tried everything in this thread to get video working but I can't. Specifically, I can't get video working on twitter.com. I'm running Debian 9.2.1. Has anyone got it to work on that? Thanks for any help.

• It worked! Thanks!

There was 1 problem that was easily fixed. When I first tried I got this error:

./vivaldi-libffmpeg-install.sh: line 211: ar: command not found
    xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    ERROR: Cant extract files from oxideqt-codecs-extra_1.21.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb

IT seems the 'ar' command isn't installed with the base OS. Installing the 'binutils' package fixed that.

@ssmla said in Video playback problems, troubleshooting and solutions on Linux.:

seems the 'ar' command isn't installed with the base OS

Oh sorry - my script is not 100% error tolerant.
    Thanks for hint!
    I will add some checks in next version if programs are installed.

• @ssmla
    That's weird. I always thought binutils package is one of standard for bare bone Linux system. It contains some of common used programs not just building but also for debugging.
    ar and ld probably the most common used.

@ssmla But i do not know why programs are missing for you. On my Debian 9.2 KDE 5 Plasma i have all needed programs.
    Did you install a special Debian 9.2?

• I installed 9.2.1. I dl'ed it from https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/. I only dl'ed the file "debian-9.2.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso".

• @ssmla
    That's even more weird. I'm "Debianist" too btw.
    In Debian, binutils is always in "required" category.
    Or that's "important" category? Nevermind, both category are crucial for Debian.

@ssmla Strange my debian-live-8.8.0-amd64-standard.iso has all files needed for my script.
    Perhaps a Netinst version of your 9.2.1 may have contained all.

• Anyone else lost video playback in the latest-ish version (1.13.1008.40)? Nothing's working for me on YouTube, Vimeo or Facebook (haven't tried others), and in fact YT video pages crash to that black-page-with-dead-bird thing immediately after opening.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.