How to MIgrate External Mailboxes to Vivaldi

• Maybe I missed it, but please advise us all as to how to Import or Migrate existing previous messages/folders/complete-accounts, to Vivaldi from other email providers which we may wish to leave. There are literally MILLIONS of angry Yahoo subscribers who would be interested to hear the answer. I am not asking for Vivaldi to send messages under the other account's name, but I do need to have all of my previous messages located in one cloud-based place for future reference and followup. Something done thru IMAP would likely work - or possibly thru a one-time 'settings wizard', such as how RunBox and FastMail do it. Thanks. BTW, how large is our Vivaldi WebMail account capacity in GB ?

• There's a guide here: https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/how-to-move-your-email-from-my-opera-to-vivaldi-mail

It should also work for Yahoo Mail. That post also answers your other question: 5GB.

• Thanks !

That method using Thunderbird is exactly what I had in mind for the IMAP way, as I already have almost all of my Yahoo account backed up to there, and have tested this method with varying degrees of success at other providers, depending upon the data limits which they may have set for IMAP PUSH-syncing.

Might I respectfully suggest to the Mods/Admins here, that this topic (or one like it) be 'Stickied' in the current forum, as it surely must be one of the most FAQs for any new email provider.

(and later on, mayhaps put it into a FAQ Wiki section for the overall site)

• Another place where your link would be well suited and welcome would be underneath the 'Cat in the Box' picture on the Vivaldi front page, in addition to the current link for migrating photos.

If newcomers saw it THERE, it would certainly encourage them to stay, I would think.

• @davesnothere:

Another place where your link would be well suited and welcome would be underneath the 'Cat in the Box' picture on the Vivaldi front page, in addition to the current link for migrating photos.

If newcomers saw it THERE, it would certainly encourage them to stay, I would think.

Good suggestions, thank you.

• I am in the process of adapting that tutorial, to use Thunderbird as a tool to import/migrate ('Push-Sync') populated folders into Vivaldi Mail from accounts OTHER than My Opera, and am pleased to report that it is a case of 'So Far, So Good'. :)

I already had all of my existing accounts fully synced and saved locally into Thunderbird 17x in a Windows XP unit, while trying the same test with other mail service providers, so the equivalent of 'Step 1' of the existing instructions was already completed.

So I set up an account in T-Bird for Vivaldi, and it went routinely, though it is necessary to select 'Manual Config', and to avoid asking TB to do any 'Tests' and 'Auto-Detection'.

First, I tried using T-Bird to internally copy folders to Vivaldi Mail from my smaller Yahoo account of two, where there is only about 40MB of space occupied by a few hundred messages, including attachments.

Worked like a charm, and quickly too, as would be expected for such a small load.

One caveat seems to be that in order to see the results in the Vivaldi WebMail interface, you must either log out and back in to get a refresh, or to click over to to the Settings page and back to Mail. - Did I miss a dedicated refresh button ?

Next, I went to my HotMail account with T-Bird, and did the same, and it worked equally as well, though it took longer due to a larger message count and attachment load.

The REAL test will be 'push-syncing' to Vivaldi my primary Yahoo account, which is much larger, with near 4K of messages spanning 12 years, and about a 1.3GB load, including all of the attachments.

I will likely try that sometime late tonight.

Cheers !

= = = = = = = = = = =

Reference Links for IMAP settings for the other providers are :

Yahoo : http://guillaumeb.com/ym/imap.html
    or : http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=ca_MX&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN4075

HotMail/Live Mail/Outlook-com : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail

• @davesnothere:

One caveat seems to be that in order to see the results in the Vivaldi WebMail interface, you must either log out and back in to get a refresh, or to click over to to the Settings page and back to Mail. - Did I miss a dedicated refresh button ?

There's a "check for new messages" button left of the "create a new message" button.

• @Frenzie:

There's a "check for new messages" button left of the "create a new message" button.

Thanks - I noticed it too, sometime last night. :oops:

And in certain other WebMail clients, I just click on the Inbox icon to get the same result.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.