Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost

• Re: Vivaldi not opening

After the things are done - there were no data of last browsing sessions and saved passwords, bookmarks etc. I tried to move my data from folder User_Data to User Data, but still nothing. Tried to replace all folder (User_data) to another without "_" and there is still nothing.

As soon as I am little bit worried about of restoring all my data on browser - could you give some advice on what I did wrong and how to fix it (if possible)?

Thank you.

@wygigt - I'm not actually understanding exactly what you did that seems to have brought on this problem in the first place.

Can you sort of explain your actions step by step? (if there is a folder with your old data, it can always be restored. It's not lost. But let's get your browser actually working first.)

• @Ayespy,

1. Vivaldi didnt open (even after restarting and reinstalling)
    2. I have changed the name of folder User data to User_data
    3. Opened browser and there was no data of my previous sessions, saved bookmarks (no data in common)
    4. I have tried to replace data in folder User Data to that in User_data - nothing.
    5. Tried to assemble folders - nothing.

Still browser is working now, but without any data saved or recorded from previous year or something, from the date I am using browser.

@wygigt - Of course with the newly-generated User Data folder, you will see none of your old data. You have to copy over a few (just a few) files to see your old data. You must not copy extensions and settings, however, because that's what torpedoed you in the first place.

What do you mean by "I have tried to replace data in folder User Data to that in User_data - nothing." Do you mean that you put the data from the old folder into the new and it once again wouldn't start?

That would be expected.

You need to only copy CERTAIN FILES from the old to the new (I can tell you which ones) so that you can get your data back, but NOT move the files that are corrupted and blocking the browser from starting.

@wygigt - If my theory of what you mean by "- nothing" is correct above, then you just need to start with a fresh clean User Data folder and then copy over ONLY the "bookmarks," "login data," "cookies" and "favicons" files from the Default folder in the old User Data folder into the Default Folder in the new User Data folder. Then you'll have your critical data and can rebuild your settings, theme, etc. to your liking. When re-installing extensions, test the browser after you install each one, to ensure it doesn't put you right back into the soup.

Read my post under how to refresh your profile for blow-by-blow instructions.

• @Ayespy

@Ayespy said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

Of course with the newly-generated User Data folder, you will see none of your old data.

It is. I know that, thank you.

You have to copy over a few (just a few) files to see your old data. You must not copy extensions and settings, however, because that's what torpedoed you in the first place.

I got it. And have to find what to copy.

What do you mean by "I have tried to replace data in folder User Data to that in User_data - nothing." Do you mean that you put the data from the old folder into the new and it once again wouldn't start?

I have replaced new User Data folder, which was generated after the renaming previous one with the files from old folder (User_Data) and it didnt work. So, the replacement didnt crash the browser - it is working perfectly, but there is no data from previous sessions which was copied.

I cannot comment your second post, cuz of there is nothing to say - I cannot find that folders in C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data

Maybe I did mistake by replacing new folder with the old one and there is no possibility to recover the data?

I apologize if still cannot explain you well, but I have no idea how to say all those things in other words. Maybe I can answer your direct questions and describe my actions step-by-step?

Do you see the file names I mentioned in C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default?

• @wygigt said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

I cannot comment your second post, cuz of there is nothing to say - I cannot find that folders in C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data

To be clear - you have omitted a level, you need to use the "Default" folder inside the "User Data" folder.

Regarding files etc, have a read through
    https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/

• @Ayespy said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

Do you see the file names I mentioned in C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default?

Yep, I see it.

@TbGbe said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

@wygigt said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

To be clear - you have omitted a level, you need to use the "Default" folder inside the "User Data" folder.

Okay. On my way. Thank you.

• @TbGbe said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

@wygigt said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

1. My Vivaldi is already empty
    2. Folder Default contains 2 copies of each file
    3. I cannot get how to recover my data

Should I tell step-by-step how it happened?

@wygigt - at this point, uninstall Vivaldi, remove all folders, and start over. There is no way to walk you through this communicating one message every day or two.

• @Ayespy said in Vivaldi not opening_after renaming folder data lost:

@wygigt - at this point, uninstall Vivaldi, remove all folders, and start over. There is no way to walk you through this communicating one message every day or two.

That's so kind.

Thank you for your help.

Uninstalled Vivaldi. It was pleasure.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.