Why is Vivaldi so much more sensible than Chrome?

• It's much more intuitive, so much better thought-through and generally comes across much more sensible?

Because Vivaldi gets features users wants.
    Vivaldi is a browser for Friends.
    Chrome is a browser for Google.

• You've made a few assumptions (i.e. it's more intuitive and it's better thought-through coming across as more sensible). These assumptions are really based upon your own experience rather than being universal, it seems to me; otherwise Vivaldi's user base would have grown much larger than it has. That's not to say that it is a bad browser but like Opera of old, it is a browser that appears to appeal to a certain niche beyond which it seems to have very little appeal. Suites were popular in the 90's and largely lost popularity with the dissolution of Netscape. Today I would venture to say that most people online are using mobile devices (phones, tablets) as a result of which, email clients are fast becoming a thing of the past. Webmail is much more popular today along with other forms of communication; it just "is" what it "is". Having a built-in email client while desirable for some is by and large not what most want. Hence, Vivaldi would be seen as a throwback and therefore not "more sensible" to many. If I were to make a prediction, I would say that Vivaldi will never capture more than 2% of the market share and my guess is that the percentage will be under that figure. I see Edge rising in user share as more adopt the new Windows platform and more extensions are made available. Google Chrome has a strangle-hold on the market and one that will likely not be broken. Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer (yes, even IE) will remain in low double digits) and then there are the "other" browsers that are more oddities than anything else.

@Joel90 - It's intended and designed to appeal to a niche. There are already plenty of "everyman" browsers in the market, but not a single one other than Vivaldi which does what I personally want.

• @Ayespy -- i do hope you're proud of me. I have stoically resisted the temptation to critique your "everyman", indeed i decided not to even mention it. Oh, wait... :girl_tone1:

@Steffie: As "everyman" contains the pejorative connotation of bland and monotone uniformity, I knew you wouldn't want me to include everyone (including yourself) in it... :alien:

• My sister is a casual user who would otherwise use Chrome, but uses Vivaldi on her laptop instead. She's like every other user, but seems to just like using Vivaldi for some reason, so I guess even the most everyday person can use Vivaldi.

• @Ayespy said in Why is Vivaldi so much more sensible than Chrome?:

@Joel90 - It's intended and designed to appeal to a niche. There are already plenty of "everyman" browsers in the market, but not a single one other than Vivaldi which does what I personally want.

I understand what you are saying. The point I would make is that "niche" doesn't pay the bills and in order to continue development of such an involved project, money is needed. Now, it could be that charging for the browser's use would help defray some of the cost but in the long run advertising is needed. The issue is convincing investors that a browser which appeals to a niche rather than "everyman" is one that would be lucrative and I don't see that happening given the fact that most users today use mobile devices and slimmed-down browsers with extensions as opposed to suites with everything built-in. It really boils down to money as do most things. So in that regard, I would argue that Vivaldi is not as sensible as Chrome or Firefox or Edge or Safari.

@Joel90 - Jon's calculus is that it will pay the bills with less than a 1% share. That it not LOSE money is enough for him at this time. He can expand the appeal later, once he has created the browser that he, personally (and a few million displaced OldOpera users) has so been missing since Opea ASA abandoned features and targeted the masses with the new and "improved" Opera 15.

• @Ayespy @Joel90

Someone need to pay the bills, very valid point. I am really happy of the direction Vivaldi is going. As a IT / Business consultant, my company spend some money every years different type of software subscriptions or license fees. As a contractor for a large range of different clients I am more than happy to pay for my software use as long as it gives me something back. Free is good, but someone need to pay the bills. I am not asking for an invoice from Vivaldi - on the other hand there is nothing like a free lunch.

If the options are adverts or subscription. Happy to pay.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.