[Resolved] Making Vivaldi default browser

• Hi all,

I am having trouble making Vivaldi my default browser. What mechanism does Vivaldi attempt use to make this setting? How do I set this manually?

"xdg-settings set default-web-browser vivaldi-snapshot.desktop" appears to set vivaldi-snapshot to be the default browser. However, xdg doesn't effect the actual settings. If I open firefox aurora 50 it reports that it is the default browser and if I click on an external http link in, say, a pdf or in my terminal the link opens in firefox.

Currently I am running Gentoo testing branch with the 4.8.12 kernel and the i3 windows manager. There is nothing in my i3 config file that effects default mime setting. Firefox has no trouble either setting this setting or detecting whether or not its the default browser.

• You might try using update-alternatives instead of xdg.
    i.e.

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

If there is no config, you will have to set one.

• I tried that ... no luck. Thanks though.

• @gallatin1988 said in Making Vivaldi default browser:

I tried that ... no luck. Thanks though.

i had the same problem. update-alternatives, etc, nothing worked. i dont even use gnome (xfce), but someone suggested i use gnome-control-center->details->default applications ...and sure enough, whatever that changes, worked for vivaldi here.

• @marcosmobley Thanks for the suggestion. However, gnome-control-center would require me to install systemd (or at least several sytemd components) which I would prefer not to do.

• ax_reddit on reddit suggested mate-default-application-properties. It seemed to fix the problem.

Is there a to mark this as "solved"?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.