Option to mute tab

• After right clicking on a tab it should give you an option to mute tab, I know you can mute it after a video or sound starts playing. Example: Chrome.

• I would like to second this request. I'm running several windows (like Google Calender or Mattermost) and there is not always sound output, but there are only notifications now and then. On Google Chrome I liked being able to mute also tabs that are not currently play some sound to be sure that they won't pop up some sound in unpleasant situations.

Example: Prior to switching from Chrome to Vivaldi (which I really appreciate), I was able to lease my tabs open but muted when showing something an a meeting (where I may or not need sound, so cannot mute the whole machine). With Vivaldi, I have to make sure to close all tabs that could potentially make some sound, beforehand - which is quite unconvenient.

Hence, I'd like to ask for showing the Mute Tab option always in the context menu.

Note that assigning a keyboard shortcut for this like
    0_1491556313923_Screenshot at 2017-04-07 11-11-26.png
    does not work either as long as the tab is not playing any audio (can also not be used to mute e.g. a Youtube tab while there is nothing playing).

• @MrD
    A mute function already exists in Vivaldi since 1.8.755.3 (released in February)

• General settings are found in "Settings" --> "Tabs" --> scroll down to "Tab Features" --> section "Tab Muting"

• To do a few fast adjustments you can use the Quickcommand menu which you can access via "F2" just type mute and you get all options you need (btw way more than chrome provides)

• And of course you can create mouse gestures for all those commands so you don't even need the Quickcommand menu

• @zaibon Unfortunately, your suggestions don't work for me.

• General settings are found in "Settings" --> "Tabs" --> scroll down to "Tab Features" --> section "Tab Muting"

I tried that, it only allows for setting a global behavior, not selective muting of channels. However, there is a mode to allow audio only from the active tab - I'll try that.
    0_1491776435318_Screenshot at 2017-04-10 00-17-22.png

• To do a few fast adjustments you can use the Quickcommand menu which you can access via "F2" just type mute and you get all options you need (btw way more than chrome provides)

• And of course you can create mouse gestures for all those commands so you don't even need the Quickcommand menu

Unfortunately, this does not work, either.
    Example: Go to Youtube without playing any video. Press F2 and enable mute. Click on any movie - the audio will be played in this tab.

• @MrD It's fine, it all works (as expected) in Vivaldi 1.9.804.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) on Linux; dunno about other versions. :)

• @MrD
    Unfortunately I can't test this atm because my pc at work has no speakers, and I forgot my headphones this morning (I hate mondays because mondays hate me...) -.-

• Already requested in current request thread at least 3 times, Feature requests for 1.9 / 1.10

Sorted from newest to oldest. The last one is mine. Although, probably I'm not that clear to "word" it, as people still double post. :grin:

• @MrD I can confirm. The muting command takes effect only when the audio is playing. If you mute the tab, then pause the video, unmute it and mute it again, it'll play the sound after resuming the video. I hope it'll be refined in future versions of the browser.

@zaibon said in Option to mute tab:

Unfortunately I can't test this atm because my pc at work has no speakers, and I forgot my headphones this morning (I hate mondays because mondays hate me...) -.-

I know the struggle... Even though I quit the job at the office eventually, I remember how painful were the days when I forgot to take my headphones to work. 😖 Now I take them almost everywhere I go... 😄

• @pafflick said in Option to mute tab:

@MrD I can confirm. The muting command takes effect only when the audio is playing. If you mute the tab, then pause the video, unmute it and mute it again, it'll play the sound after resuming the video. I hope it'll be refined in future versions of the browser.

Yeah, thanks. Your description is better than mine and should make clear how to reproduce this issue exactly.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.