Vivaldi should provide a free VPN

• Why you might ask?
    A bill giving the UK intelligence agencies and police the most sweeping surveillance powers in the western world has passed into law with barely a whimper, meeting only token resistance over the past 12 months from inside parliament and barely any from outside.
    "The Liberal Democrat peer Lord Strasburger, one of the leading voices against the investigatory powers bill, said:"We do have to worry about a UK Donald Trump.
    Jim Killock, the executive director of Open Rights Group, said: "The UK now has a surveillance law that is more suited to a dictatorship than a democracy. The state has unprecedented powers to monitor and analyse UK citizens' communications regardless of whether we are suspected of any criminal activity."

I, personally, will be switching to a different browser which offers a free VPN simply because I do not want my internet usage to be monitored and I cannot afford to pay for VPN service just so that I can keep using the vivaldi browser.

• You can install free VPN extension. Also https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/04/22/opera-browser-vpn-proxy/ .

• Epic browser which is another Chromium based browser has a built in VPN. Or you can install free VPN extensions.

• Remember, when it comes to VPN's, if you're not paying for the product you are the product.

• @purgatori what exactly do you mean?

@navtojchahal "Free" VPN's collect statistical data, which they sell.

• @purgatori said in Vivaldi should provide a free VPN:

Remember, when it comes to VPN's, if you're not paying for the product you are the product.

Very true.
    I've been a very satisfied airvpn user/subscriber for a couple of years now.

• @purgatori She means that if there are not making money from your subscription then they are making money from you in other ways. Very true in many things and possibly very true here too. Like in free stuff around the internet, lets say monetized youtube videos. You watch the youtube videos for free right, well(assuming they do their own ad deals rather then using youtubes monetization feature like joe roagn or Linus tech tips) they youtube video makers use you as a product and go to advertisers and say look at how many users we have you need to pay this much to have me talk about you product and they are selling your viewing time to the companies. Here it implies the sale of data which defeats the purpose of a vpn.

My opinion: VPN's are great and are not free to run. Subscribe to a VPN if you can afford it and if you have a job you can afford it. I pay 40 a month for five pcs to use a t once and so I split it with a friend. So i pay 20 a year, thats basically nothing if your an adult and pay for rent and food and other shit that makes my money disappear. If you REALLY can't afford it then use a free one but know its not as secure.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.