Memory optimisation

• hi, I noticed vivaldi uses a lot of memory (135Mo+88Mo+75Mo+41Mo with one tab, which is enormous), also the configuration window uses 31Mo just by itself, and developer tools 50Mo. I think something should be done about that, because a webpage that weighs 3Mo should not hog 340Mo of ram, don't you think? If you could reduce that by a factor 5-10 that would be great. I'm counting on you to make the best browser out there.

• I think thats just a normal problem with the chromium engine: to much RAM used.

But, if they can do something about it, it would great

• Hmm. Well, on my Win7-64 system, FF35 is currently running 216Mb of RAM (with 9 mostly-cosmetic extensions running plus NoScript), whereas Vivaldi stock Tech Preview is currently running 202Mb of RAM, both with just one tab open to this forum page.

• @Blackbird:

Hmm. Well, on my Win7-64 system, FF35 is currently running 216Mb of RAM (with 9 mostly-cosmetic extensions running plus NoScript), whereas Vivaldi stock Tech Preview is currently running 202Mb of RAM, both with just one tab open to this forum page.

Now run both with ten tabs open on multimedia heavy webpages

• Memory consumption is indeed a big problem with any Blink-based browser.

Vivaldi with 12 tabs open and LastPass, Stylish and AdBlock extensions is currently allocating around 2.1GB here. Firefox 37 with around 60 tabs (including all of those open in Vivaldi) and around 20 extensions (including those three mentioned) is allocating 1.3GB of RAM (and all of the tabs are loaded and active, not suspended).

But optimizations will surely be coming for Vivaldi, so there's that. Also, even though there's not much to like about current Opera, one thing can be said about it - its memory consumption is a lot lower than that of Chrome/Chromium (and current Vivaldi), even though it is Blink based as well. So I guess there's hope that it is possible to optimize it.

• Emm .. my PC has 16GB and NB has 8GB ram and it really doesn`t get used enough, so could you please make Vivaldi eat more memory please, specially it that will speed up loading and rendering.
    I mean memory optimization should go both ways with maybe a setting there to let the main process know just how much memory it can hog. Feel free to keep everything loaded in memory for as long as possible rather than caching hundreds of files on the hard drive.

• Eating up as much RAM as possible is not optimization. Neither is making an app "hog" memory. And just because an app consumes a lot of memory, it doesn't mean it's using it efficiently.

And that's really the key - efficiency. By all means, let the apps use as much memory as they can, but ONLY if it's reasonable. Hogging the memory just for the sake of hogging it is not. And Chromium has a nasty habit of doing exactly that. When you're using a few tabs (say 30+), it's pretty easy to get to the point where Chromium consumes all available memory on even 8GB+ systems. And it's not that keen on releasing it. If you only run a browser (which I kinda assume you do, given your statement on how your large memory doesn't get used enough), that might not be a problem for you. But if you want to run a few more apps along with the browser, it can get pretty nasty quite easily with swapping aplenty. Even people with 16GB systems are often complaining about how much memory does Chromium consume, leaving almost nothing to other apps.

And that's what we're talking about here and what we're afraid of might happen with Vivaldi, given that it's a general problem for pretty much any Blink-based browser. Use plenty of memory when reasonable, but use it wisely.

• Actually if you ever had to play with Exchange or DB servers memory hogging is a huge optimization seeing how even SSDs are really slow at times. Having been around for a while I do remember the good old days when having 1MB was huge and it payed off a lot to optimize a lot when writing something to get them down to a point where you could stick as much in 64k because going past that made things really annoying. Also dont confuse memory management with memory optimization. Proper memory management is making sure you dont leak all over the place and actually keep tight control over memory allocation and specially deallocation and not just hope some garbage collector will do all the job for you. good memory management will keep memory footprint low. Memory optimization is all about making use of as much memory as you can in order to mask out long IO operations, and that does mean hogging memory in order to preload, or if possible delay releasing resources that you might need again soon enough. Problem is finding a proper balance. I dont necessarily want another "store.exe" but I also would love to have 40+ tabs and not have things froze on me for a few seconds when switching between them, witch is something that does happen with Opera 12 at times.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.