H.264/MP4 still does not work

• H.264/MP4 still does not work still does not work on 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

Good thing you spent all that time on LIGHTBULB INTEGRATION instead.

@warcode It works fine here on 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (32-bit).

FYI: The people responsible for the "lightbulb integration" are the design team; they wouldn't help you fix the video problems anyway. 😉

BTW. Some people suggested to use the 32-bit version of Vivaldi despite the OS being x64. It's supposed to be less buggy. I'm using it and it works fine.

• @pafflick It doesn't matter. Its still money allotted to useless features instead of fixing critical bugs.

None of the versions work unless I go very far back, which seems like a security nightmare.

@warcode - Money allotted to design is never useless. You just don't care about design (you think, because you don't realize how much it plays into how you browse all the time) but having designers on board is not a waste. What's a waste is blaming work that is done as being a reason other work is not done.

Of course when you have your own browser company, you will allocate your funds with appropriate wisdom.

• @Ayespy The core reason for ever having this piece of software is to use it to browser the internet. Design only has value as far as increasing the usability of the browser. When its spent on vanity while other issues exist it is indeed useless. Thats how you end up with the useless design churn that a lot of webpages go through. Designers that have done their job extremely well but are kept around and then need to "have something to do". I don't blame the designers, but every business has a budget and using money for something means other things have less.

But the worst part is that its been months but nobody has even acknowledged that this bug even exists. It doesn't inspire confidence in what I hoped was the last decent browser left on the internet.

• Hi, you are the first user report H.264 does not work with 1.5 stable.
    I use snapshot 1.5.658.42 on Linux so cant verify for Windows but for me it is working.

Cheers, mib

@warcode said in H.264/MP4 still does not work:

But the worst part is that its been months but nobody has even acknowledged that this bug even exists. It doesn't inspire confidence in what I hoped was the last decent browser left on the internet.

Something that crops up and receives developer attention in NEARLY EVERY SINGLE release, especially every time Chromium gets updated, is media support. It is a moving target, and an extremely frustrating aspect of having to build on top of a platform built by developers who don't care you exist.

The forum and especially the blog receive developer comments concerning media support weekly, it seems.

Again, development staff and their activities are totally irrelevant to this issue. Jon is not going to fire a designer to hire a "fix media support all day every day" developer. He is also not going to tell a designer, "I don't care about your brainstorms, flights of fancy or bright ideas. You will flipping well work on what I tell you, and nothing else."

H.264/MP4 works for me In V32 on Windows 64. Have you tried the 32-bit version of the browser? It is recommended. ONE of the reasons for that is that plugin-integration for 64-bit has been sometimes fraught.

@warcode said in H.264/MP4 still does not work:

H.264/MP4 still does not work still does not work on 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

Current 32/64bit Vivaldis work on my Windows 10x64 with H.264 and MP4.

Your graphics card may have problems to use hardware acceleration or strange driver. Or you don't have Windows Media Player and Media Feature Pack installed which is needed for codecs.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.