[bug] Google set as home page - since update to 1.5, blinking cursor not in search box on launch

• Using 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (32-bit), as of yesterday, with Google set as my home page. Since the update from 1.4.x, the cursor is no longer in the Google search box when the browser is launched.

(Exact same thing happened soon after the change from "old" Opera to "new" Opera. I reported it, and it was eventually fixed.)

GN

Can confirm the bug.

Can you please report his bug at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

• @Gwen-Dragon Thanks. I've just now reported it.

@vivabrowser Is this bug VB-23506? I confirmed it.

• @Gwen-Dragon Yes, thank you. I'm actually not familiar with the naming system, but I did receive a message today from bugs@vivaldi.com saying, "Issue Collector created VB-23506".

BTW, I've also just noticed that I can't drag an address bar URL icon directly onto the Bookmarks bar, though I can drop it into a Bookmarks bar folder. Is this another v. 1.5 bug?

@vivabrowser Dragging ti the free space on bar fails yet. I think it is already reported as a issue.

My solution for you:
    Drag the icon to the beginning of bookmarks the bar or between two existing entries, the entriy will shift to right and you can drop the dragged URL now.

• @Gwen-Dragon That works. As I am accustomed to having my main bookmarks folder on the far left end and to dragging individual temporary/short-term bookmarks to the right of that folder, I do hope they'll fix this. But your workaround is very helpful, so thanks!

• This significant bug still exists, 5 months after being reported. Since the mods here don't tolerate criticism of the browser's development, I'll refrain from doing so. The facts speak for themselves.

@vivabrowser: Mods tolerate a TON of polite and respectful criticisms. And Devs fix between five and twenty bugs per day on average. One recent internal build featured fifty bugfixes. Each bug in its turn... (and one of the much-repeated mottos we internal testers get to read in our super-secret, confidential, our-eyes-only backstage discussion platform is "Kill All Bugs." It's a developer focus.)

• Let me understand what is exactly the problem.
    I've set https://google.com as homepage. Pressing alt-home it goes there.
    The cursor IS in the searchbox in the middle of screen under the google logo, but still, as I start typing, the page changes and cursor goes anyway in the searchbox in the upper part of screen. Where the cursor is initially seems totally irrelevant, and I guess the devs seen this as a "don't bother to fix something that doesn't work already as expected in the first place"

• @Ayespy Thanks, point taken.

• @iAN-CooG said in [bug] Google set as home page - since update to 1.5, blinking cursor not in search box on launch:

Let me understand what is exactly the problem.
    I've set https://google.com as homepage. Pressing alt-home it goes there.

I'm talking about the page that is loaded when the browser is launched, not what you get when you press alt+home.

Where the cursor is initially seems totally irrelevant

It's not irrelevant, because when the cursor is in the address bar, the autocomplete results are totally different from those produced when you're typing in the Google homepage search box.

@vivabrowser Yes, you can criticise the browser's development, but that will not result in faster bug fixing.
    I know many guys and gals who have their pet bugs which have to be resolved.
    And i fear not much people use Google search as a startpage, so your bug has low prio and may be see as a cosmetic problem to be fixed laster.

And as is see the bug has a low priority. I updated the bug for current 1.9 Snapshot.

• Vivaldi Translator

@vivabrowser
    Maybe I'm lost.

I'm talking about the page that is loaded when the browser is launched, not what you get when you press alt+home.

Your Google page issue is different than the thread?
    This thread is about when the Google site address was set plus cursor problem.

Yours could be caused by extensions. Or something more nasty from out of
    Vivaldi.

If that the case, it should be in different post/question.

It's not irrelevant, because when the cursor is in the address bar, the autocomplete results are totally different from those produced when you're typing in the Google homepage search box.

By default, Vivaldi doesn't have Google autocomplete suggestion isn't it?
    What address you put in suggestion box in Google search settings?

• @dLeon said in [bug] Google set as home page - since update to 1.5, blinking cursor not in search box on launch:

@vivabrowser
    Maybe I'm lost.

Your Google page issue is different than the thread?

No. From my OP: "Since the update from 1.4.x, the cursor is no longer in the Google search box when the browser is launched."

This thread is about when the Google site address was set plus cursor problem.

This thread is about what I've said in my posts, which are quite clear.

Yours could be caused by extensions. Or something more nasty from out of
    Vivaldi.

If that the case, it should be in different post/question.

No, the issue occurs without extensions and is not a result of malware. It is a bug.

By default, Vivaldi doesn't have Google autocomplete suggestion isn't it?

Yes, it does.

What address you put in suggestion box in Google search settings?

https://www.google.com

• Vivaldi Translator

@vivabrowser
    OK, I could see the cursor not land in input box.

And about search suggestion, I actually ask the settings in here
    0_1491747187396_maim_2017-04-09_21-12-37.png

As long I use Vivaldi, that part always empty in default install.

@vivabrowser Since you're so demanding, could you tell us how much did you pay for this browser so far? This bug seems to affect a quite insignificant amount of users (I know only about one), so it's not surprising that they didn't work on a fix for that yet. There are tons of other issues to address (far more important than this one little bug).

BTW. I've just tried something like this: I've opened a tab and typed google.com into the address bar. The search field was focused. I've closed the browser. My Vivaldi is set up to start with the last session. After opening the browser, the Google home page loaded and the search field was focused automatically. I was able to start typing the search phrase into Google right away after launching the browser (I've performed these test in Vivaldi 1.8.770.54 Stable and 1.9.804.3 Snapshot - both 32-bit on Windows 10 x64).

• @pafflick said in [bug] Google set as home page - since update to 1.5, blinking cursor not in search box on launch:

@vivabrowser Since you're so demanding, could you tell us how much did you pay for this browser so far? This bug seems to affect a quite insignificant amount of users (I know only about one), so it's not surprising that they didn't work on a fix for that yet. There are tons of other issues to address (far more important than this one little bug).

A "little bug" where the cursor---unlike what occurs with every other browser that has even the slightest bit of market share (even Opera!)---fails to appear in the search box for the world's most important/popular search engine? OK, if you say so.

PS How much did I "pay for this browser"? That's a defense for this? Please.
    PPS I'm not going to post on this topic any further. Carry on, all!

@vivabrowser Well then, I guess that all of the three people in the world who suffer from the lack of this tremendously important "feature" will have to switch to another browser. Vivaldi developers are clearly so short-sighted by overlooking the most important bug in the history of the Internet... 😆

Seriously though, you should share your wisdom with us more often. It's so fun to read... 😁

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.