I want to choose where I want to install this browser

• Some programs (about 5%) are annoying and persist to install in "Program Files (x86)" even after I change path to "Program Files". I am experienced user and I know where I want to install my programs. Windows knows that program is 64bit or 32bit no matter where it was installed. There is no "magic path" that determines type of program, just annoying Microsoft directory separation. I have all my programs in "Program Files" directory. I move Vivaldi after installation and change entries in registry, but I hope next time while updating this software, when I choose "Program Files", installer will accept MY CHOICE and will not try to be smarter than user.

• I agree. I tend to keep most of my programs separate from my windows installation. This is quite annoying.

• I had no problem installing it where I wanted to — on an encrypted O:\ drive.

I don't think the default should be anything other than C:\Program Files (x86) as long as your choice is respected.

• You don't understand, isn't? I want to change FROM "C:\Program Files (x86)" to "C:\Program Files". Program accept that changed directory but still install in (x86) directory. I know that I can chooose other paths, but I want to keep ALL my programs in "C:\Program Files" (not stupid "x86" directory). It's my choice so why installer changes that? I have old Opera, new Opera, Firefox and other browsers install like that with no problem.

• Someone else reported this bug. Vivaldi will sometimes install in a different directory than the one user wants it to.

I had no problems with installing it on my F drive so it's not 100% reproducible.

• Please, PLEASE, read carefully and with understanding. Is it that hard? This is not only Vivaldi problem but some other installers that change "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)" even if user choose "Program Files" as installation directory. I'm talking about this directory only! Problem is with PF vs PFx86! Come on! Should I made picture for people who don't want to read?

• It's all about how Windows manages WoW64 redirection: If a 32-bit program tries to access C:\Program Files\ it will be told that it did so, but it will actually access C:\Program Files (x86)\ and similarly, if it tries to access %windir%\system32\ it will be told that it did so, but it will actually access %windir%\syswow64\

It looks like the only way around this is for Vivaldi to use a 64-bit installer for 64-bit systems, even if it installs a 32-bit program: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/12/22/9244582.aspx

• You're not right. After installation I can change directory, move program, change registry entries and program will work using "Program Files" path.

Many installers works good, including Opera installer for example. Path does not determine how program works. You can choose your installation directory to (for example) "c:\whateverfiles" and all your programs will work the same good - 64 or 32 bit. Both install in the same directory (Windows do not create (x86) separate directory for any path you choose if your program is 32bit). Windows manages 64/32 bits not by reading directory name. In theory some programs can have libraries in the same names and these libraries are stored in separate PF/PFx86 directories. But in fact I never seen anything like that - even if program uses both paths, libraries have different names (which is not surprising if you can install program in any directory you want). So whole idea of "Program Files (x86)" is stupid and annoying.

I have many 32bit programs that allow me to change directory to "Program Files" while installation (and stay that way, not change directory silently AFTER i press "next" like Vivaldi does). The only good method is to get default path only while program asks for installation directory (%ProgramFiles(x86)%), but only for resolve that path and paste it into path field. After that all changes should be made based on true path choosed by user. So if I don't want to install in default directory and I want to change it to any other - I should have possibility to do that.

I hope Vivaldi update will not create separate dir in "x86".

• I certainly agree withe the OP. Going back to DOS 2+ and 3.0, I have always placed programs files in their own directories (File Folders now).

I want my programs to have their own place in the root of my C partition – i.e. C:_PROGRAM_ . I do not want to have to search through Program or Program(x86) directories to find the program. This was never a problem with Opera and so I am sure that as Vivaldi matures this option will return.

• Again - this is not problem with custom directories. This is problem with only two of them - "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

• @rat_in_browser:

Again - this is not problem with custom directories. This is problem with only two of them - "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

rat_in_browser, your issue was addressed by lewisje when he said:

@lewisje:

It's all about how Windows manages WoW64 redirection: If a 32-bit program tries to access C:\Program Files\ it will be told that it did so, but it will actually access C:\Program Files (x86)\ and similarly, if it tries to access %windir%\system32\ it will be told that it did so, but it will actually access %windir%\syswow64\

It looks like the only way around this is for Vivaldi to use a 64-bit installer for 64-bit systems, even if it installs a 32-bit program: blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/12/22/9244582.aspx

He listed both the reason why this happens and the work-around. I hope this can put an end to the drama.

• Yep, but that reasons are wrong.
    "If a 32-bit program tries to access C:\Program Files\ it will be told that it did so, but it will actually access C:\Program Files (x86)"
    So, is that mean all my 32bit programs that I have in "Program Files" directory, should not work anymore, because windows access "x86" directory instead and my program isn't there? No - they works perfectly. Surprise?
    Program can access windows system32/syswow64 depends what type of program is running (32/64 bit) but this is not related with "Program Files / x86" directories. Even if you install program in your own directory, Windows knows where he should look for system files based on program itself, not on directory name.

I think that I explain better how it works with better workaround (how installer should work).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.