Can't import bookmarks from Chrome

• Just installed Vivaldi - using Windows 7 Pro OS. Tried to import bookmarks from Chrome but keep getting message saying must close all Chrome windows first. I have done this - but still continue getting the same message, therefore no import happens. How can I fix this? Without importing bookmarks from Chrome, Vivaldi is useless to me. Thanks

• Vivaldi Translator

Are you sure that there is no process having fun in task manager?

• @muratservan Yes I checked that also. And I even restarted the computer and tried again before opening Chrome at all. A mystery.

• @djgreen146, hi, export bookmarks as html in Chrome and import the file in Vivaldi.
    This should work in all circumstances.

Cheers, mib

• If nothing works you can just copy the bookmarks file from the chrome profile to the vivaldi's one. (They're both blink browsers based on Chromium)
    The profile is usually placed under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
    (AppData is a hidden folder)

Before you do that, you want to move all of Chrome's bookmarks onto the bookmarks bar. Otherwise parts of them will be in a database structure that Vivaldi can't reveal to the user.

• Thanks for all replies and help. Much appreciated.

• @mib2berlin

I have the latest 1.6x Vivaldi. I've saved my Chrome bookmarks
    to an html file available on dropbox which is accessible from Vivaldi. How exactly do I import the HTML file so that it will install my bookmarks?

@robertebrown - Vivaldimenu/file/import bookmarks and settings/bookmark HTML file; browse to the appropriate file.

• @GinoPerla said in Can't import bookmarks from Chrome:

If nothing works you can just copy the bookmarks file from the chrome profile to the vivaldi's one. (They're both blink browsers based on Chromium)
    The profile is usually placed under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
    (AppData is a hidden folder)

If i do so, the express panel and opportuynity to search from the adrress bar dissappear. The html importing does not work (it shows the progress and ok but nothing appears). Is there any tool to merge 2 bookmarks files ?

@ViWalter: There's no way to merge the files that I can think of.

For some reason, a large file sometimes will not import. don't know why. But a small file should do so easily. So you can, in effect, "merge" the two files by doing everything backward.

First, there is no separate Speed Dial ("express panel") It's just a folder with bookmarks in it, and a view you can select from your settings. But if your Speed Dial contains bookmarks you don't want to lose, then export your Vivaldi bookmarks to an HTML file for later import. Then you can move your Chrome bookmarks into Vivaldi. Following that, you can re-import the Vivaldi bookmarks HTML file you exported. Then you'll have everything. Once you have done that, you can move bookmarks out of and into whatever folders you want, and select whichever of these folders you want, to be your Speed Dial.

The data structure of Chrome bookmarks and Vivaldi bookmarks is different. If you want to make SURE you get all bookmarks from Chrome to Vivaldi when copying the Chrome file over, first move ALL of your Chrome bookmarks to the Bookmarks Bar (at least until you copy the file over - then you can move them back where you want.) Vivaldi's data structure will recognize every bookmark or folder of bookmarks that was on the Chrome Bookmarks Bar.

When you say "express panel" I assume you are talking about Speed Dial. I use the terms interchangeably. There is no English "express panel" in Vivaldi, but I have seen that in Russian (and perhaps other languages) this is translated from the English "Speed Dial."

• There is no export option in Vivaldi, but i have just imported again chrome bookmarks successfully, the reason it could not be done before is that i used the extension to export because i did not know that such function is available by default in Chrome. Thank you anyway.

• @ViWalter Export bookmarks is on the File menu. The speed dial folder will be included in the exported HTML file.

@ViWalter: As noted by @pesala, the option to export bookmarks in Vivaldi is under menu/file/export bookmarks.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.