Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum

• @ozoratsubasa

I have not much notion on how this feature acts. But if the answer is directed only to the post for what is given, all other readers of the topic would not be aware of this answer, or hardly would they do. In some cases, it may have an interest also from other, more widespread users. And in this way, there would be more difficulties for these other eventually interested users. Just a cogitation.

• The Big Red Plus
    I had no idea what this was until I asked on this forum.
    Please add a tool tip to the big red plus that appears when writing a post in this forum.

Also, why is it a plus? It would make more sense if it was a ^, >, or a v like in bookmarks. The first time you press it, it takes things away, so plus doesn't make sense.

• @josephj11 said in Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum:

The first time you press it, it takes things away, so plus doesn't make sense.

IMO this makes easier to go to the entire page where you are posting, specially favoring any eventual quote you want add, or better view from any post existent on this page. That's one utility I can perceive. May exist other ones. Clicked again on the Big Red Plus, it returns the post you are making to you, for complete it.

• @josephj11

Huh... Oddly, despite it being big and red, I don't recall noticing that button it until you mentioned it. (Or maybe I did, but forgot about it.) Has that always been there since the forum switched to NodeBB?

Maybe it's a white "+" on a red background because it temporarily folds away the post/reply form, like a Swiss Army knife folds away its tools? That's the best explanation I can come up with. πŸ˜›

DIY userstyle fix:

/* Change FontAwesome "+" to FontAwesome expand/contract arrows */
    .taskbar-composer        .fa-plus:before {content: "\f065" !important;}
    .taskbar-composer.active .fa-plus:before {content: "\f066" !important;}

/* Make a tooltip */
    .taskbar-composer:hover::after {
        position:absolute;
        text-align:center;
        top: -4ex;
        left: 0;
        background:cornsilk;
        padding: 0.1em 0.4em;
        opacity:0.8;
        box-shadow: .3em .3em .3em rgba(0,0,0,0.2);
        content: "Restore\A composer";
    }
    .taskbar-composer.active:hover::after {
        content: "Hide\A composer";
    }

• @Quinca71 said in Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum:

IMO this makes easier to go to the entire page where you are posting, specially favoring any eventual quote you want add, or better view from any post existent on this page. That's one utility I can perceive. May exist other ones. Clicked again on the Big Red Plus, it returns the post you are making to you, for complete it.

I put bold in the quote above, to try to make it easier to know what subject I'm going to talk about now.

Another advantage I found in the "tool" is that if you are opening a post and suddenly remember a significant aspect that is on another link, you can click on the Big Red, go to this link, do the checks you want and when you return to the link in which you were posting, the Big Red Plus stayed there, and, after clicked, returns the post with everything you have already written and to the point where you stopped to go out to the other link.

• My two requests here were taken care of. Direct link to a specific response made on a Team Blog and time for editing. Thank you.

• @Quinca71 Maybe it's a plus because it means I want to go looking for something I want to add to my post.

Yes, it's a white plus in a red circle, but that was too many words. πŸ˜‰

It still needs a tool tip.

• @josephj11 said in Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum:

but that was too many words

All the content I've added here is aimed primarily at you. But not exclusively. It is addressed also to other readers who will pass through this medium. These can certainly be in different degrees to understand English and computing. Higher and lower. I thought mainly of these inferiors. πŸ‘ΆπŸΎ Hence the excessive text. I was not wanting to confess, but, come on: I am one of those who are not very qualified in English. ☹

One more thing: everything can contribute to attract users to Vivaldi, among all types of users. Even those who today may not be very "power-users", but who knows tomorrow?

• @josephj11

Now, I understood "too many words". "Too many" for a title. However, I am not going to edit the post above, for do not lose my "latin". πŸ˜†

• @Quinca71 I was just saying I was too lazy to spell it out with as many words as my later explanation contained.

You make a good point though about remembering that English isn't everybody's first language. Just another reason to keep statements simple and clear.

• @josephj11

You're right. I gave you a positive vote. I agree with you. But, unfortunately, I am not so capable of putting your recommendations into practice. We, the "non-natives" (especially myself, a "neo-Latin"), have our own way of constructing the phrases, often verbose, and despite our efforts, it is not so easy to achieve the goal. With persistence, however, we continue, following the popular saying: "dogs bark, the caravan goes by".

• Highlighting the up- or downvote button based on which one you've used

• @duarte.framos Exactly like that. Let's push it up in the queue

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@duarte.framos Yes, yes and yes. To both the upvote coloration and the hamburger.

• @g_bartsch Thanks guys πŸ™‚

I have since noticed that under the mobile version of the forum software (when visited from an Android phone for example) the icon is indeed displayed as the three-dot alternative.
    In a desktop browser however, it displays the blue i icon instead, which while totally OK, I find somewhat less descriptive of what it actually does.

• I think the markdown code in forum is great, but as far as I know there is no way to make a button to show/hide content (e.g. for big images or code). Could be useful and help prevent individual posts cluttering up the page.

• @luetage said in Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum:

I think the markdown code in forum is great, but as far as I know there is no way to make a button to show/hide content (e.g. for big images or code). Could be useful and help prevent individual posts cluttering up the page.

As I mentioned in another thread, one hacky way to do a spoiler in the current forum (although the collapsing isn't evident in preview) is to nest two block quotes as a spoiler like so:

spoiler

> > spoiler
    > > ...
    > > ...

Spoiler tags would be nice, though.

• @Isildur Ahh, I never read that. And thanks, that's a clever trick and shall suffice for the time being.

πŸ˜‰

• @luetage said in Feature requests for Vivaldi's new forum:

@Isildur Ahh, I never read that. And thanks, that's a clever trick and shall suffice for the time being.

πŸ˜‰

Glad to help. : )

(By the way, I hope it didn't sound like I expected you to be aware of the other thread. I'm in the habit of frequently linking to previous posts, both because they may contain discussion on the same subject that may be of interest to others, and because it helps make a breadcrumb trail for myself when on some future occasion I'm trying to remember where I posted something or got some info.)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.