Disk Write 99%

• Can please fix this thing. I am using Vivaldi long time ago and this is the second time it happens to me. Te first time was the beta bersion, so I decided to use the stable version to not get this type of problems or not have to do some trick. But now I am using 1.4.589.38 (64 bits) and it still happening.
    Please fix this problem because I am being forced to change browser beacuse of this :(

![1_1478653869702_Vivaldi version.png](Uploading 100%) ![0_1478653869702_Vivaldi disk.png](Uploading 100%)

• But this is a critical issue and still happening. This started happening around almost 4 months disk issue.
    The common user don't want to know if the problem is top site of profile, he want that to work properly not killing you hard disk.

But what is the solution? Changing browser?

• @tiago.sousa Well, as I said the problem is known.

Unfortunately, until there is a solution to this in Vivaldi, for those who suffer from this (not everyone does) there are only two choices, either use the workaround or use a different browser.

Sorry, but if it was a simple "fix" then I'm sure it would have been implemented already, so some patience is required.

• Its a big problem with Vivaldi and other Chromium based browsers. Searching for "high disk usage" "heavy disk activity" etc shows quite a few people having this same issue. One symptom is a problem with disappearing passwords.
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/7053/high-hard-disk-activity-by-vivaldi-1-0?page=1

A workaround is to delete Top Sites* regularly or changing the permissions on those files to read-only. But changing the permissions will crash the bookmark editor so you have to change the permissions each time before editing bookmarks. Adding bookmarks is no problem.

• It happened to me at least 30+ times since I noticed it for the first time. I have to manually go and delete the Top Sites files. Not really acceptable for a stable software..

• But when you say Top Sites files is the bookmarks of speed dial?

But for example I prefer they spend one month fixing the problem and not implement any feature than new features and the problem still there.

• Afair, there was never an official feedback on that, which is unfortunate.

Seems that also Vivaldi hasn't this really on their priority list (I don't expect anything helpful from the Google ream here).

someone

• It happened to me again today, had to manually delete Top Sites again. Might as well start thinking of creating a tool to delete that file each time Vivaldi closes or something.

Opened a new bug report, VB-23176 - please use it to reference this issue on the desktop blog, if we nag them enough, they'll get around to fix it.

@someone said in Disk Write 99%:

Afair, there was never an official feedback on that, which is unfortunate.

Seems that also Vivaldi hasn't this really on their priority list (I don't expect anything helpful from the Google ream here).

someone

There was an alleged fix some months ago. But as we can see it didn't fix anything.

• @NSANE But can you say what/where you manually delete?

• @tiago.sousa said in Disk Write 99%:

@NSANE But can you say what/where you manually delete?

Oh, of course, sorry: /Vivaldi/User Data/Default/ is the folder ("Default" is the Chromium profile name), and the file is "Top Sites" (no extension). No need to delete "Top Sites-journal".

• @NSANE said in Disk Write 99%:

@tiago.sousa said in Disk Write 99%:

@NSANE But can you say what/where you manually delete?

Oh, of course, sorry: /Vivaldi/User Data/Default/ is the folder ("Default" is the Chromium profile name), and the file is "Top Sites" (no extension). No need to delete "Top Sites-journal".

You can identify Profile Path ( the location of "Default" ) in Vivaldi - Help/About.

• @TbGbe @NSANE Thanks

• I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is concerned about his/her SSD's reduced life expectancy due to this.

I already mentioned the issue on another thread in the Vivaldi All platform section.
    I disabled this "continue running apps in background when Vivaldi is closed" or whatever it's called in English.

To actually hear it being busy on my HDD I might install it there and move the Vivaldi portion of the UserProfile folder to the HDD using a hardlink. (Windows)

On Linux the"biggest annoyance" with Vivaldi would be the flickering when playing a video. Might be linked to a hybrid gfx card setup on that laptop but hadn't had the time to look into it yet. Using FF on that one in the meantime.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.