Some control over java script content of webpages

• First I'm a long time user of the old opera (<=12). I don't like the new versions of it, it lacks so many good old features. After some hard decision I switched to Firefox but I'm not satisfied with it. After some time I read about vivaldi. I like the idea and I'm sure I will switch to it in near feature. To shorten this time until change the following feature would shorten it to immediately.

The old opera was used mainly by people with some interest in computer science and security, e.g. system adimns tend to use it. So how about a feature which increases the security and control of webpages drastically?

Nearly each webpage uses javascript functions to work but most time it has additional functions which aren't needed, like some for tracking, action observation, advertisement and other third party stuff.

With the old opera I uesed the extension "NotScripts" (pyramid icon), with firefox "NoScript" (Snake S icon) with those you have control over all java script functions which are loaded by the webpage. You can add them to a trust-list, so there are loaded by default, other aren't loaded.

But with extensions you have the risk that those observe, track themself. So it would be nice if this feature would be a part of the browser itself.

That would (opional) add the control to the use over what should be load and what not for each webpage loaded from Vivaldi.

Same procedure could be done to other plug-ins which are are active all the time.

Thanks for reading. It would be nice to read your opinion about this idea.

• You can disable all what you may interpret as dangerous or tracking globally.
    That can be done in settings at vivaldi://chrome/settings/content
    And then you enable the domains you trust in a the exception list

And you can click on the globe or lock left in adress field and theer you can disable what you want.

• @Gwen-Dragon
    Wow, vivaldi did a big step since my last trial. The content settings is a nice feature but not exactly what I'm asked for.
    If you activate it for one site all javascript stuff on this site gets activated unregarded from which source it is.
    So if you want to block something (like Google Analytics or facebook) but it's used on another site you want enter, there is no way to use the other java script content without using those you don't like which also present at the site.
    With the No(t)Scrips plugins you can choose from all java script on that site and activate only some of them.

• @mvan said in Some control over java script content of webpages:

With the No(t)Scrips plugins you can choose from all java script on that site and activate only some of them.

Yes, i know this NoScript extension ;) I used it long ago in Opera 12 and Next.
    In the meantime i had uMatrix in which you could precisely block what you need to block.

• uMatrix looks like a good alternative (safescript did not work for me with vivaldi).
    Thanks for that hint.

Now I wish something like this (or No(t)Scripts) is implemented in Vivaldi.

So if you want to block something (like Google Analytics or facebook) but it's used on another site you want enter, there is no way to use the other java script content without using those you don't like which also present at the site.

Did you see the exceptions button in the settings link Gwen Dragon posted?
    You can blacklist and whitelist there (wildcards are possible). Of course it is not quite as comfortable as notScripts was, but it works basically the same way.
    You can enter the analytics URL and such get rid of it for all pages you visit. All other scripts will still work, so pages should work as expected.

• @QuHno said in Some control over java script content of webpages:

Did you see the exceptions button in the settings link Gwen Dragon posted?
    I noticed it but forgot to test it, Thanks for the hint.

It might work for stuff like google-analytics but many pages have e.g. advertisement from other pages which differ. So I don't know the source before visiting it. So blacklist don't work.
    Other pages need scripts from other sites to fully work (like youtube). If I want to whitelist them, how do I know their source name? Do I need to look in source code first?
    Furthermore some sources I want to block if their are on other pages but activate if on their site (e.g. would be useful for facebook users). So a temporary option would be good as well (also applies for other restrictions already implemented at Vivaldi (e.g. allowed until tab closed)).
    So whitlelist is to complicated to be useful.

How about the option at the java script content page to mage this during usage? If active, its adds a icon to menu bar, which has the options like uMatrix (or No(t)Scripts).

How about the option at the java script content page to mage this during usage? If active, its adds a icon to menu bar, which has the options like uMatrix (or No(t)Scripts).

The ScriptSafe extension allows you to block individual scripts on a page. It presents a listing of them when you click on its icon with various options like block, allow, allow temporary...

Edit: Once a change is made it needs you to click its icon again for a page refresh to reflect the changes you just made.

• @MacUser2525 said in Some control over java script content of webpages:

The ScriptSafe extension allows you to block individual scripts on a page.

Ye, I know, same applies to uMatrix and No(t)Script. But those Add-ons are active all the time, so they could analyse, protocol by themselves and sell this data like the Add-on "web of trust" (WOT) recently did.

So I'm asking for a build-in function for vivaldi with the same options.

@MacUser2525 said in Some control over java script content of webpages:

The ScriptSafe extension allows you to block individual scripts on a page.

Ye, I know, same applies to uMatrix and No(t)Script. But those plug-ins are active all the time, so they could analyse, protocol by themselves and sell this data like the Add-on "web of trust" (WOT) recently did.

So I'm asking for a build-in function for vivaldi with the same options.

So just what is there to stop Vivaldi from doing the same. In addition there are sites that ban that and would probably just ban a browser with it builtin. If you are that worried then it is time to create your own both browser and plugins the way you like, it is the only way to be certain.

• @MacUser2525 said in Some control over java script content of webpages:

So just what is there to stop Vivaldi from doing the same. In addition there are sites that ban that and would probably just ban a browser with it builtin.

The OS or even the hardware could do so too. You never can be sure but you can shrink the probability, reduce the amount and have some control how your data is handeld.
    So even if Vivaldi do so, I trust it more than the creator of the Add-on. My data would be in a larger database, more anonymous and used with more restrictions (laws).

And sites which ban that you simply can't visit anymore. If all do so, they need to allow it again.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.