[Resolved] Our real name (if mentioned in our profile) is showing up in a web search

• I mentioned my real name and first name in my profile but never thought they were going to show up when searching for my name on DuckDuckGo.
    You forgot to protect our profiles data from the search bots guys.
    Thanks for the privacy Vivaldi team but why am I not surprised?

Edit:
    alt text

So if you don't want your personal information to end in a search engine, change quickly your name if you were imprudent and too trusting as I was.

• Thanks for your feedback, I reported your message to the involved devs

• That's interesting information. I wonder how many people input their real names when registering, because there is no real reason to do it in the first place. Why does Vivaldi even ask for our names?

@luetage - Because.

Real names, if provided, have always been visible in Vivaldi profiles. That's why I changed mine the first day, when I saw it was actually listed on my public profile.

• @Ayespy
    You can hide your stated name/email by changing privacy settings. This will only show up on the profile for yourself and when logged in, not others. But that's not the issue here.

• @luetage said in Our real name (if mentioned in our profile) is showing up in a web search:

That's interesting information. I wonder how many people input their real names when registering, because there is no real reason to do it in the first place. Why does Vivaldi even ask for our names?

Real names in the Facebook era are asked by default by practically any registration form, then is up the users to compile the properly.

That said, as you can see, the current platform is halfway between a forum and a social network, and who coded it (not Vivaldi guys) did it with this scenario in mind.

Then surely there is room for improvements in the platform settings, just like in anything of just released.

• It should also be possible too hide / exclude my profile from visitors and we should have the possibility to be ignored by the vivaldi search.

Even Facebook offers this possibilities. If someone uses his account for email it's just unsafe.

It must be guaranteed that not everyone of my well-known, friends, colleagues and even random contacts have the possibility to capture my online behavior.

I hope the Vivaldi team will solve that quickly.

• There's a option in your profile settings about showing your real name, and it should be off by default. Click your profile picture, then settings

• we just hardened privacy a bit now, hoping that our fix stops search engine bots from capturing real names

• @steinar said

we just hardened privacy a bit now, hoping that our fix stops search engine bots from capturing real names

Or maybe not? https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/12335/user-full-name-revealed

• @rkzn users can see their own full names. By default, other users can't.

• @steinar Oh, so it was that. :-) Thank you. Forgive me for polling you I thought it was something else :-|

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.