src="https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php?idsite=1&rec=1&bots=1" style="border:0;" alt=""

Why is 32bit for Windows recommended?

• I've been running 32bit on my Windows 10 i7 computer but I usually run 64bit programs when available. Why is the 32bit recommended on the download page?

• @DrWho said in Why is 32bit for Windows recommended?:

I've been running 32bit on my Windows 10 i7 computer but I usually run 64bit programs when available. Why is the 32bit recommended on the download page?

Because it detects the version string of the OS you are using and offers up that choice to download. Most times there is usually a separate downloads page link that will take you to all versions of the program that are available. So if you were on Windows machine and have a Mac you could download from that separate page the Mac version you wanted, no clue whether they have that as I never needed to do that with this program.

@DrWho said in Why is 32bit for Windows recommended?:

I've been running 32bit on my Windows 10 i7 computer but I usually run 64bit programs when available. Why is the 32bit recommended on the download page?

There is literally no reason to run 64-bit versions of most programs. In many cases 32-bit versions are more efficient because they are faster and thriftier on resources. Programs which utilize huge amounts of image or math processing are almost always better in 64-bit, but browsers uniformly are not.

Further, 32-bit is still the most widely used by a fair margin. For this reason, it receives the first and most attention in development and testing and is generally more bug free. It is even better-supported by Chromium as to GPU compatibility. There is nothing wrong with 64-bit Vivaldi, but 32-bit is just that little bit more resource-thrifty and reliable.

• But my Windows System shows at 64bit. I would think that that if I go to Vivaldi.net to download it would detect Windows 10 - 64bit computer and download a 64bit version to install but it only downloads the 32bit.

I just checked using Chrome and it did detect Windows computer but downloaded the 32bit version. When I go to Vivaldi.net using Vivaldi 32bit I have to navigate to the download page where it recommends 32bit but I can still select 64bit to download (which I did).

Am I missing something or is the 64bit less stable than 32bit so 32bit is recommended?

@DrWho - Please see my comment above. The 64-bit recommendation has nothing to do with sytem detection.

• Thank you for the clarification. I'll stick with 32bit.

As an added comment. I've been using Vivaldi since 1.0 and love it. For the most part I use Vivaldi on my Windows and Linux computers without any problems.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.