USE A REAL FORUM: Forum errors on passphrase, profile, usability problems, etc, etc, etc.

• When registering, I kept getting multiple vague errors about a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter. After registering, I keep getting more errors about a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter. When using the forum, I keep running into silly obstacles that don't matter. Why are browser people using clunky experimental forum software?

Make your browser, and use real forum software made by forum people that know what they're doing. You don't have to revolutionize the whole world to make a decent web browser. Focus.

I recommend SMF, but nearly any major forum software would be a big improvement over this one - Invision, PHPBB, vBulletin, etc, etc, etc. Just pick one and stop torturing your users.

• Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

The forum dudes are doing cleanup work as we speak. The experience will get much smoother and friendly.

• As a user I agree with you, I shared the same objections months ago in the early testing phases.

Anyway, as both user and moderator, I would say that there is a right manner and a right time for such requests.

The actual result comes after months of work and (I guess) after long internal discussions.

Whatever decision was taken, was taken. Is not one message that will change what wath is already done.

So I suggest you to give more time to iron out some surviving glitches and to get yourself used to the new engine.

Then focus your requests to one detail at time (say theming, text editing, notifications and so on) surely that would be more productive and appreciated.

• @Ayespy said in USE A REAL FORUM: Forum errors on passphrase, profile, usability problems, etc, etc, etc.:

The forum dudes are doing cleanup work as we speak. The experience will get much smoother and friendly.

The forum as we see it today is not 'finished' and is a work in progress like Vivaldi itself? That would be great.

• @g_bartsch is software ever 'finished' ? I certainly hope that anything we do can keep evolving :)

• @steinar said in USE A REAL FORUM: Forum errors on passphrase, profile, usability problems, etc, etc, etc.:

@g_bartsch is software ever 'finished' ? I certainly hope that anything we do can keep evolving :)

So not having looked deeply into the background it seems obvious now that Vivaldi built this software? Great. Looking for more good to come from it. Thanks!

• Dear @badon . I'm sorry to hear you've had a negative experience, we will be working hard to iron out issues in the coming days. Regarding our choice of forum software, there are many reasons why we picked this one. First of all it's built with modern Javascript, it shares a lot of technology with our browser UI, which means most of our developers can easily familiarize themselves with the source to improve upon and extend it with custom modules. As a company, we are building and gathering a lot of JavaScript knowledge. Some might call this software experimental, but it's running a stable release version and is becoming increasingly widespread.

Regarding registration and login issues, we are aware that there are some hiccups on those sides. User management has been centralized and decoupled from our other services, and we are using oauth to authenticate users into our apps. This has proved to be a big challenge, but will allow us to do great things in the future (including Vivaldi Sync with the same account you used to post in here). We plan to polish and improve the user account experience a lot in the next days and weeks.

• @g_bartsch No, we did not build this, we are using an open source forum system built with Javascript called NodeBB, which we have customised to suit our needs.

• @steinar Thank you ..

• @steinar said in USE A REAL FORUM: Forum errors on passphrase, profile, usability problems, etc, etc, etc.:

[snip] This has proved to be a big challenge, but will allow us to do great things in the future (including Vivaldi Sync with the same account you used to post in here).

Noted :D

• @g_bartsch said in USE A REAL FORUM: Forum errors on passphrase, profile, usability problems, etc, etc, etc.:

The forum as we see it today is not 'finished' and is a work in progress like Vivaldi itself? That would be great.

It's true.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.