Less "innovations", more features, plese

• Hi, after a few more months, I decided to drop by and see if there's any chance for email client being finally introduced to Vivaldi anytime soon. I was positively surprised when I found an article talking about this issue. Alas, my grin was only fading during the read. Innovations, fun, creativity and all similar buzzwords the article bristled with are of course important, however I'd strongly prefer 1 way to send and receive emails, over 5 ways to close a tab, or 3 ways to change color theme. I understand that the dev team wants to be able to offer us an update as often as possible, however I usually don't notice those changes in every update anyway. I even stopped reading the changelog (btw, it's a really great idea to add it in the place it is in vivaldi, i.e. displayed during the update process) and I'm only checking whether email client is finally here. As a user of a browser, I would really like it to have more features, and while embellishments are nice, I don't really care that much for them. I had chosen Opera because it was everything in one place, and I chose Vivaldi because it promised the same experience in foreseeable future. I thought I would be getting it by the end of 2015. It's almost 2017 now. If I stumble upon a more complete solution than Vivaldi, I'm quite sure that at this point I'll simply abandon this browser and if that new solution works out, all Vivaldi users I know will follow me. Just my personal opinion.

• I am another of those waiting for a working email client so that I can finally drop Opera 12.17 instead of having to open both browsers.

However, that is not all that I want, and many users could not care less about it. The developers have a small team working on the email client, while others are working on other stuff.

There are thousands of feature requests and bugs to address, apart from the email client, so we will just have to wait until it's ready, like everyone else will have to wait for their most wanted feature.

Take a look at item number 18 in the Feature Requests thread which is under development, but it is just one of many frequently requested features.

• One point to keep in mind is that one person's "trivial innovation" is another person's "major feature". Another background phenomenon to keep in mind is that Vivaldi needs to bump a version relatively soon after chromium bumps their version of the underlying rendering engine, which is often. That implies an inherently faster 'update' cycle with lower "major-ness" to many of the innovations/features swept up at the same time into a given version.

Moreover, a great many users primarily employ online access to their eMails, so the actual demand for an eMail client feature, while highly important to those of us who seek it, is not necessarily as compelling as might seem the case to those of us who rely on it. The design effort required to create and integrate such a client that works trouble-free is substantial. There's a reason there are so few stand-alone eMail clients left out there in the wild, and that's because there's a high cost/return ratio involved in creating/maintaining a secure, flaw-free eMail client in a heavily online-focused world of changing protocols and website scripting variations with a shrinking number of users wanting to employ such a client. I'm just glad Vivaldi has committed itself to eventually including such a client "when it's ready".

Finally, Vivaldi remains strongly in the kill-the-bugs mode and in trying to refine and smooth its basic functionality (tab handling, screen display, etc). With a finite number of developers and limited resources, Vivaldi remains a work much in progress. It's useful to recall that Olde Opera as most of us knew it wasn't developed in a day - or even a year… it took multiple years to achieve its tremendous functionality. So patience still remains the watchword as Vivaldi continues unfolding...

• i remember on one version a while ago there was a goof, and the email client was integrated. would it be possible to have a way to do this? not all of my emails are urgent, or have high security needs. i send those to another address. when i tried adding a webmail page to panel, results were not helpful without drastically resizing panel.

Sorry. Mail client won't be released before it is functional and safe. It is progressing in that direction.

And since there are a team of five, spending all of their time on the email client and only on the email client, the activities of other developers do not impact the progress of email. It moves forward as fast as its team can go, no distractions.

• The latest snapshot has a small innovation that is a big help. Now my notes and bookmarks can have meaningful titles for easier recognition.

• @Pesala said in Less "innovations", more features, plese:

I am another of those waiting for a working email client so that I can finally drop Opera 12.17 instead of having to open both browsers.

However, that is not all that I want, and many users could not care less about it.

That's interesting you're running 12.17. I still keep Opera 12 on systems I had it installed on before but since 12.18 came from the new Opera owners I never trusted it so never installed it. (I almost never run Opera any more so any security bugs are highly unlikely to be triggered anyway and I don't use Opera for any questionable sites)

As far as the email client, personally I would rather see efforts expended on improving the browser itself which still has many issues that need to be addressed, rather than wade into a gigantic project to build a dedicated email client which most people won't use anyway. (Even Thunderbird - widely considered to be the best free/3rd-party competitor to the large commercial options - has become so unproductive for Mozilla to expend resources maintaining that they are kicking it out of the nest.)

• @ImaginaryFreedom said in Less "innovations", more features, plese:

That's interesting you're running 12.17.

The security fixes in 12.18 stopped it working on some forums that I use. I rarely use Opera 12.17 for browsing now as Vivaldi works with all sites. Opera is needed only for my email. My main account is checked every 10 minutes. It's very useful to be notified if mail comes in without have to manually check for it.

@ImaginaryFreedom said in Less "innovations", more features, plese:

@Pesala said in Less "innovations", more features, plese:

I am another of those waiting for a working email client so that I can finally drop Opera 12.17 instead of having to open both browsers.

However, that is not all that I want, and many users could not care less about it.

That's interesting you're running 12.17. I still keep Opera 12 on systems I had it installed on before but since 12.18 came from the new Opera owners I never trusted it so never installed it. (I almost never run Opera any more so any security bugs are highly unlikely to be triggered anyway and I don't use Opera for any questionable sites)

As far as the email client, personally I would rather see efforts expended on improving the browser itself which still has many issues that need to be addressed, rather than wade into a gigantic project to build a dedicated email client which most people won't use anyway. (Even Thunderbird - widely considered to be the best free/3rd-party competitor to the large commercial options - has become so unproductive for Mozilla to expend resources maintaining that they are kicking it out of the nest.)

The mail client has been under construction for over a year. The mail team and the browser team are not the same people. The work of one does not affect the other.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.