Vivaldi and YouTube: Stutter and Dropped Frames

• Hi. Since this slowly starts getting ridiculous: I think since the release of Vivaldi 1.4 the browser has "severe" problems playing back the one or another random YouTube video (Windows), and it really starts to get old now. Symptoms are: Audio Stutter / Break-Up, Dropped Frames and Async Video/Audio for a short while. Fun fact #1: This doesn't happen on way less powerful system running Linux. More on that down below. To give the an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2C4geiF7Q A random video from "Joe's Computer Museum" YT channel I just watched where Vivaldi displays his amazing "stutter superpowers" loud-and-proud. Up to the 2 Minute 30 seconds mark "Stats for Nerds" show: Video ID: CL2C4geiF7Q Dimensions: 1280x720 Resolution: [email protected] Volume: 100% Stream Host: r2---sn-4g5edned Stream Type: https CPN: bclUrSfaDwdEInrn Mime Type: video/mp4; codecs="avc1.4d4020" DASH: yes (298/140) Connection Speed: 19123 Kbps (doesn't go above 20.5/21Mbps) Buffer Health: 67.2s Network Activity: 0 KB (<-- Paused, because typing this post) Dropped Frames: 391/9342 (<-- WHAT THE?!) Machine specs: Intel Core i7 5960X, 128GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce Titan X, Windows 8.1, latest Nvidia 375.57 driver (doesn't really matter, we now went through several driver iterations since the "Vivaldi hiccups" started showing up). I hope this crappy tin can cuts the minimum specs for running Vivaldi on Windows. Just to make it perfectly clear: I can even play a 100Mbps+ 8K video on this machine (on-the-fly scale-down to 4K) without dropping a single frame (MPC-HC/LAV codecs for example) - this is neither a hardware problem nor a lack of performance problem (given the system cuts the minimum Vivaldi specs). Fun fact #2: Even Firefox and Chromium (Portable versions, using my own "portable wrapper" and latest release / buildbot waterfall build) play the video linked to above WITHOUT a single dropped frame. It's also not a problem with my downstream either - 120Mbps should be enough for a "lousy" ~20Mbps video. Hell, even Total Biscuit's weekly Co-Optional Podcast on Twitch runs fine with "Source" quality setting in Full-Screen and ~60/80Mbps stream bitrate. EDIT: It's also not a problem with CPU Load ... overall CPU Load while playing back the video (in Vivaldi) is 2-4% at the lowest P-state (==CPU Clock) ... so the CPU is actually greatly bored because most of the heavy lifting is done by the GPU anyway. /EDIT Fun fact #3: A way lesser powerful Linux system plays the same video fine with Vivaldi on Linux. System in question is a AMD FX8350, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX750Ti running Linux Mint 18 (and teh ebil Nvidia proprietary driver). Plays without any issues. In fact I can even play back a ~80Mbps 4K video just fine on this system via "xplayer" (fork of "Totem"). Vivaldi on Windows as well as on Linux is, at the time of typing, 1.4.589.38 (Stable) in the respective 64-Bit version. Being done with my rant now let us get to the question: Do the Vivaldi devs plan to resolve the issue anytime soon now or is it, from my viewpoint, really better to rather use a another browser where stuff "just works(TM)"? I mean, Firefox and even Chromium are eating your lunch big-time when it comes to YouTube and smooth video playback.

• I have to confirm, especially 60fps videos drops a lot of frames for me if not viewed on full screen.
    It's got even worse in latest 1.5 snapshots. Once there were 1-2 frame drops every 1000 frames, now it's almost a 10% of frames lost, setting hw video rendering on or off doesn't help in any way.

• I'm new to Vivaldi - yesterday installed 1.5 Final (32bit windows) and that Youtube frames dropping is one of the very first issues I encountered. 50/60 fps videos drop about 10% frames! No other browsers drop any frames in my system so something is clearly wrong. And yes in fullscreen mode suddenly all is OK, no more dropped frames. Very strange.

• Please give us a URL and information which video size you use.

• Well it could be any video in 1080p/50 or 60 fps, like in OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2C4geiF7Q

Size: YT standard theater mode view. After switching to fullscreen immediately no more frames dropped. In window like I said earlier ~10% dropped.

CPU usage when playing is low. Max ~10%.

• any youtube video tagged 60fps will do, example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRpbNTBkGE
    right click, select stats for nerds and see frames dropped hard. On fullscreen very few frames are dropped, it's acceptable once in a while as it's almost unnoticeable.
    On my home pc (i5 @ 3.3ghz, nvidia GT520, win7 32bit, 7Mbit connection with at least 800kb/s downstream) it's even better with hardware video decoding disabled than enabled. When enabled the video even pauses for a while now and then even if the video is buffered enough.

• For both URLs i did not dropped frames ca. 5 at 1500 frames.
    But if the video has to be buffered because of slow connection frames drop.

• Just posting further evidence:

my link, played in normal window mode, HW decode deactivated, after 25 seconds:

Video ID:OhRpbNTBkGE
    Dimensions:1066 x 600
    Resolution:1280 x [email protected]
    Volume:100%
    Stream Host:r10---sn-hpa7zney
    Stream Type:https
    CPN:6kVMhK-_qv4y5Qyp
    Mime Type:video/webm; codecs="vp9"
    DASH:yes (302/250)
    Connection Speed:2510 Kbps
    Buffer Health:84.7 s
    Network Activity:0 KB
    Dropped Frames: 427/1520

Same but with HW decode active:
    Dropped Frames: 397/1531

Fullscreen, HW decode deactivated:

Dimensions:1280 x 720
    CPN:8-UPqe_nZMOPXVV-
    DASH:yes (302/251)
    Connection Speed:4785 Kbps
    Buffer Health:49.3 s
    Network Activity:256 KB
    Dropped Frames: 2/1521

Dropped Frames: 3/1531

Fullscreen but then pressed F11 to show UI again, HW decode deactivated:

Dimensions:1282 x 721
    CPN:_U0v5zXJEpYe8vTl
    DASH:yes (302/251)
    Connection Speed:2510 Kbps
    Buffer Health:19.5 s
    Network Activity:192 KB
    Dropped Frames: 209/1533

Dropped Frames: 344/1523

in Firefox, 0 frames dropped after 10000+ frames, steady whatever is the resolution of the window or in fullscreen. On the same PC, goes without saying.

• Hi, I have the same cautious in Chromium on Linux.
    It is may the implementation of HTML5/Flash Vivaldi use from Chrome/Chromium?

Cheers, mib

• @mib2berlin Flash for sure have nothing to do with this, Youtube with Chrome/Vivaldi uses HTML5, vp9 (webm) in my case and mp4 in case of dlarus' video. Just disabled flash in vivaldi://plugins to be extra sure, nothing changes =)

• Looks like we have some incompatibility. But when it's not reproducible for developers then it would be hard to fix :(
    And iAN Coog ist right, this bug is independent of a codec used (no matter avc or vp9).

• Same here, frames dropped on 1080p/60 videos from YouTube (HTML5 player). Vivaldi 1.5.658.44 (Stable channel) (32-bit) (no extra settings edited, like hardware acceleration or such things).

• Same here, this has happened to me before when I used Chrome while watching 1080p/60 videos on youtube only. Switching to 720p/60 or lower seemed to fix the issue, and it is definitely present on Vivaldi 1.5.658.42 (Official Build) (64-bit). It is not an issue with my computer or internet connection either, as I can stream full 4k/60 with no problem from youtube. Hope this gets addressed but it is not a Vivaldi exclusive issue.

• @iAN-CooG said in Vivaldi and YouTube: Stutter and Dropped Frames:

in Firefox, 0 frames dropped after 10000+ frames, steady whatever is the resolution of the window or in fullscreen. On the same PC, goes without saying.

To bid Vivaldi a wee bit mean "farewell, crap" comment:

Your observation is exactly why I ultimately kicked Vivaldi into the trashcan, put Firefox into its place, and stopped recommending this joke altogether...

First there's not a single update for like an eternity.

Then there's a new major version update which not only seems to cause a ton of new problems (see: "kiss your saved passwords bye-bye") but also fails to resolve existing problems - instead they rather add the most stupid "feature" I've ever seen ... "controlling Philips Hue LED lamps" to set the ambient color to match the browser ... yeah ... of course I'll outfit our home with Internet of Trash stuff that's easier to hack than a Windows 95 PC (see the "Phailips Hue LED hacked via drone").

Vivaldi started out as a great concept and quite usable browser, now it is just a mess of bugs and broken stuff.

Maybe "Tha Man" should go less on "PR Adventure" and instead take the whole team, and himself, to some "Coding Academy" classes.

You know you have a problem when not only the competition has a better working product than you have to offer, you have even more of a problem when watching YouTube on a ~EUR35 Quad-Core China E-Junk phone plays 1080p50/60 without dropped frames or "caching issues" (since the "dear" moderator above already seems to stay the "not our fault" course).

Anyhow, I'm outta here ... feel free to delete my account at your leisure as I don't think I'll have any use for it again in the (even far distant) future.

• @B.Jay good riddance, don't slam the door. shaking head and rolling eyes

• Just an update, after installing current snapshot 1.6.682.3 (uses chrome 55) the frames dropped seem slightly decreased, but what's important is that it's actually the Vivaldi UI the responsible for the slowdown. Even by not setting the video in fullscreen, but by simply pushing F11 to put Vivaldi in full screen, the frames don't drop anymore.
    And it seems that it's just the tab bar displayed to cause it, Add a hotkey in setting/keyboard/view/tab bar (i have alt-shift-t) and see if it's better for you =)

• Reported as
    VB-23716: Bottleneck while rendering 60fps videos on YouTube
    let's hope it helps to nail down the cause.

• I got a reply, and as expected "can't be reproduced" and with a suggestion to enable HW decoding, which doesn't make any difference.
    I guess dev pcs are too new to notice any of these bottlenecks. I suggest buying a pc from 5 years ago with a cheap 50euro gfx card to make proper tests =)

• This problem continues...

• @iAN-CooG Running a 50MBit connection. vivaldi://GPU show HW accellerated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRpbNTBkGE

Video ID: OhRpbNTBkGE
    Dimensions: 1600 x 900
    Resolution: 1920 x [email protected]
    Optimal Resolution: 1920 x [email protected]
    Volume: 100%
    Stream Host: r6---sn-h0jeen7r
    Stream Type: https
    CPN: 0vkoB5ds_hZd2fW0
    Mime Type: video/webm; codecs="vp9"
    DASH: yes (303/251)
    Connection Speed: 36146 Kbps
    Buffer Health: 28.4 s
    Network Activity: 2032 KB
    Dropped Frames: 471/1805

On my GT700 with HD1080p60 drops frames:

• Vivaldi 1.10 Snapshopt 390/4720
      Continious dropping
    • Vivaldi internal 1.10 237/4600
      Continious dropping
    • Chrome 58: 320/3400
      Continious dropping
    • Firefox
      Video ID: OhRpbNTBkGE
      Dimensions: 1600 x 900
      Resolution: 1920 x [email protected]
      Optimal Resolution: 1920 x [email protected]
      Volume: 100%
      Stream Host: r6---sn-h0jeen7r
      Stream Type: https
      CPN: D7rzkXkL51u7sUys
      Mime Type: video/mp4; codecs="avc1.64002a"
      DASH: yes (299/251)
      Connection Speed: 39718 Kbps
      Buffer Health: 31.3 s
      Network Activity: 573 KB
      Dropped Frames: 26/3400
      Dropping stopped after a while.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.